This Is The Story Of A Football Friday Night Farm Town

Football and farming are what your town is all about, it's just a lifestyle.
3007

Farmin' and football are what your small town is all about. Monday at school and work, that's what everyone is talking about. It's on the radio, in the newspaper, and posted on every hometown store window. The local Mcdonalds has the team's record spelled out on their billboard, the local car dealer hands out little footballs with the team logo on it throughout the week, and everyone has a tee-shirt. The town is close-knit, we're a big family.

Throughout the week we go to school, then to practice and to other activities. FFA chapter meeting, volunteering at the local homeless shelter, getting the bare minimum in when it comes to studying and school work. Last stop is the family farm to take care of the animals and then home for the night.

During the week we're focused on taking care of our animals for the summer county fair, hanging out with our friends, and finding something to do in our little town filled with corn and beans.

SEE ALSO: A Thank You To Livestock, And A Thank You To 4-H

Thursday comes and everyone is talking about who they're bringing, what they're wearing and the opposing team. After school and work, everyone goes home to prepare for the next day.

Friday at school comes and you hear your principal on the announcements say "It's football Friday night, London against West Jeff rivalry game." Everyone is talking about how we're going to beat our rivals. Class doesn't matter on Friday's when we have a football game, we're all too worried about going out to support and cheer on "our boys."

Next thing you know there are 15 minutes left of school and the principal gets back on the announcements to call everyone out into the hallway. The band marches the halls along with the cheerleaders and football players, yearbook staff is snapping pictures and the entire high school is singing the fight song. The bell rings and we race out to our cars and trucks, blaring music as we pull out of the school.

First to Walmart to get a few extra bottles of face paint, beads to match the theme, and whatever other accessories we feel are necessary. Next, we all meet up at a friends house to get ready. We do each other's hair and makeup, paint each other's faces and reassure each other that our outfits look okay.

Now to the game.

We carpool to the game, blaring our favorite music all the way there. Wait in the line that the rest of the town is waiting in to get their tickets, and then go straight to the student section.

“Seniors in the front! Then it goes juniors, sophomores, and freshman all the way in the back! Don’t screw it up!” -Senior student section leader

The kick-off cheering begins — “ohhhhh” — and the ball is punted. The crowd gets loud, everyone is yelling, the cheerleaders are leading chants, the coaches are yelling, the photographers are snapping pictures, and in that moment everything seems perfect.

You’re a high school senior, you’ve worked your whole life to lead the student section or stand on the front row. You never want to leave this moment. You want to live in it forever and never let it go. The entire town is one big family and you are just now realizing it.

After the game, we all meet up at the hometown pizza place or waffle house to celebrate the win.

That’s the story of a football Friday night farm town.