I Refuse To Let My Adult Life Go "Downhill From Here"

Our lives are so much more than a negative slope.

108
Jessica Harper

It seems as though the phrase, "it all goes downhill from here" comes with the "happy birthday" we receive as we enter adulthood. I can't help but cringe each time I hear someone say this. Yet at the same time, my heart breaks for those who truly feel this way about their life.

I however, refuse to let my life become a downhill slope of endless regret and pessimism.

I am a firm believer in things are only as good as what you make of them. In every seemingly terrible situation, I challenge you to try and find something positive in it. I promise, no matter how subtle, positivity is always there.

Bad things we will never want to think about again are going to happen. We're going to fall flat on our face. We're going to struggle. We're going to lose people we thought we'd never have to live without. While all of this is inevitable, life is so much more than the struggles we face. We can spend our lives blaming ourselves for each failure, but we're not doing ourselves any favors by doing that.

Despite what it may feel like at times, growing up isn't a trap. Everything we've spent our lives dreaming of is out there, we just have to have the courage and drive to pursue them. In a world where you can be anything, why would we want to be unhappy with ourselves and our lives? Set goals for yourself and work your ass off until you reach them. Don't let failure discourage your outlook on life. Travel the world, experience new things, cross off your bucket list, see the good in people, make memories, and create a life that you absolutely love.

It doesn't have to go downhill from here; after all, it's just getting started.