Reflecting On The Beginning Of College

Reflecting On The Beginning Of College

This school has been such a blessing to me and it is only the beginning.

8
Reflecting On The Beginning Of College

As midterms are among us college students, I feel like it's a great time for me to reflect on my first experiences as a Longwood student. Coming into college, I did not know what to expect. I was prepared to feel lonely, homesick, and out of place. However, none of those feelings occurred. Instead, I felt at ease, joyful, and at home. Longwood made the transition process so easy and within the first few days, I had already made an exponential amount of friends that I will always keep close to my heart. After a couple of months, I have learned some significant things about Longwood and I'm here to share them:

1. Oktoberfest IS worth the hype.

Oktoberfest takes place during the first weekend of October and has some of the most memorable activities of the year. This weekend is kicked off by Color Wars, which in my opinion, is the best part of the weekend. On Saturday there are a bunch of events that ultimately lead to the concert. We had Waka Flocka Flame this year, which is pretty incredible. This festival is one of my favorite traditions here.

2. D-Hall is actually pretty good.

I hear people complaining about the dining hall and how they feel it could have more options, but honestly, I feel like D-Hall is pretty great. The pizza is amazing and the salad bar has about every option you can think of. Do not even get me started on how great the breakfast is. There are also plenty of options for people with dietary restrictions.

3. Going to a small school makes it so much easier to meet people.

Besides the fact that none of my classes have more than 25 students, there are also so many events that the residential halls host and Upchurch is full of new people to get to know. The community here is very close knit.

4. Frazer is the nicest dorm I have ever seen.

My number one expectation coming into college was that my dorm was going to be old, stinky, and hot. I was lucky enough to get to live in a brand new dorm with AC and 10 floors. This blew my expectations out of the window.

5. Your professors really want to help you.

The professors at Longwood are amazing and understanding. I am so lucky to go somewhere that values what kind of educators they are hiring.

Those are five reasons why I love my life at college!