Life Lessons to learn before your 21

21 Lessons I Learned In My 21 Years Of Life

I've learned more about myself these past 21 years than I ever could have imagined.

70

I can't believe it. I'm about to be 21. I've been on this planet another year and these past 21 years, especially this last one, have taught me more about myself than I ever could have imagined.

I finally found myself.

I realized what I want to do with my life and what it means to be truly happy. I've never loved my life more than I do now. These are some of the things I've already learned as I go into my 21st year and I hope they help you in whatever stage of life you're in right now.

1. Always carry a charger, hair tie, and chapstick wherever you go.

media.giphy.com

You don't want to be stuck outside at night with a dead phone. Try to carry around a portable charger, so you don't have to worry about finding an outlet or using your phone too much.

2. Music and cute animals can make any day better.

media.giphy.com

Whenever I've had a bad day, I know that listening to Kesha and cuddling with my cat will always make me feel better.

3. Don’t leave the house without eating first.

media.giphy.com

I've done this too many times. I rush to try to get ready when I'm going somewhere and don't have time to eat anything. I try to eat at least a snack before I leave now, so I'm not starving the rest of the day.

4. Remember to take a break every once in awhile.

media.giphy.com

College can be the most stressful time of our lives. We have to remember to take some time for ourselves so we don't burn out and get too stressed to do anything.

5. Sometimes a night of goofing around with friends is all you need.

media.giphy.com

The best therapy can be just having fun with your friends and forgetting about everything for a little while.

6. Try to say something nice to the strangers you meet every day.

media.giphy.com

I remember one day, I was upset over a guy I liked and another guy I saw while shopping said he liked my hair. I just changed my hair a little bit before that and it made me happy the rest of the day since someone noticed.

I always try to say something nice to at least one person a day and that reminded me why I should.

7. It’s okay to be a sensitive and emotional person.

media.giphy.com

There have been people who told me I'm too sensitive, especially my ex when I was with him. He used to say it to me all of the time.

I used to think I was too, but I don't anymore. I even like that I'm an emotional person now. I get to feel things deeper than other people do.

8. Always say how you feel, even if that means losing some people from your life.

media.giphy.com

Don't keep your feelings inside. I used to and it hurt me so much that I couldn't tell the people around me that the things they were doing bothered me.

It will only make you feel miserable if people keep hurting you without realizing it.

9. If you always follow the rules and listen to what people tell you what to do, you’ll never get anywhere.

media.giphy.com

I'm probably one of the most stubborn girls you'll ever meet, but I'm proud of that now. I honestly feel like I wouldn't have done all of the things I have if I had listened to what people told me I should be doing.

If you always listen to people's expectations of you, you won't be able to make any decisions for yourself.

10. Don’t worry about what others are doing.

media.giphy.com

So many people around my age are getting engaged and starting a family. I still hope to have that one day too, but I know it will happen when the time is right.

We have to stop worrying about what we think we should be doing and just let things happen.

11. Find your dream job before you start your career.

media.giphy.com

If I'm not as happy as this guy when I start working, I'm quitting until if I find a job that will make me happy. I thought I was going to be in a completely different career when I started college and I love what I'm doing now.

It's not worth it to stay in a career you don't love. Life is too short to hate going to work every day.

12. Do the things that scare you.

One day you're going to look back at your life when you're old and gray. If you never do anything crazy in your life, you won't have anything to smile about years from now.

13. If a guy is acting like they don’t care, then they probably don’t care.

media.giphy.com

I learned this from the movie He's Just Not That Into You. It's completely true and has helped me a lot with relationships. Don't ever try to be with someone who doesn't act like they care about you because it will only hurt you.

14. Don’t ever try to force a relationship that’s not meant to be.

media.giphy.com

Whatever is meant to be, will be. Whenever I start to like someone, I think of that.

If someone doesn't like you back, you don't have to be upset about it. It's their loss and someone else will appreciate what they didn't.

15. You don’t have to hate those who have wronged you.

media.giphy.com

Don't stay around negative people and ones who make you feel bad about yourself. You can still be nice to others, but you don't have to keep that many people in your life.

16. Not everyone is who they seem to be.

media.giphy.com

I learned this the hard way a few days ago. I'm not saying you can't trust anyone, but be careful who you choose to trust.

I trusted a guy who I thought was a good one and he ended up lying to me. Try to figure out who the person truly is before you can trust them.

17. Don’t accept anything less than you deserve.

media.giphy.com

Don't stay with someone who doesn't treat you right, even friends. It will hurt your heart and you don't need to be around people that aren't nice to you.

18. Don’t feel ashamed for being who you are.

media.giphy.com

You should always try to love yourself. I used to have a hard time loving every part of me, but I don't now. You are perfect the way you are and don't ever feel bad about yourself.

19. Things do get better no matter how bad they seem right now.

media.giphy.com

I used to be depressed and upset all of the time, and I know there are others right now that feel that way. I'm living proof that things can get better and you can live a happy life.

It is possible. Don't give up.

20. Life is too short to spend even a moment being upset.

media.giphy.com

I've lost a lot of people since I started college and I've learned how short life is in my own way. I almost died when I was little and so many doctors thought I wouldn't live this long.

Always try to have fun each day of your life, you won't have to regret a day in your life.

21. You are not alone.

media.giphy.com

No matter what your religion is, just know that you are not alone in this life. I've learned this past year that God is always there for me when I need Him and that He will love me the rest of the days I'm here on Earth and after.

He loves all of us and whenever you feel like things are getting really hard, ask Him for help and He will guide you.