Recycling Your Coffee Grounds

Recycling Your Coffee Grounds

Those seemingly useless coffee grounds can be repurposed to aid plants and rejuvenate skin along with a plethora of other uses.

41
Recycling Your Coffee Grounds
Coffee Brew Guides

Those seemingly useless coffee grounds can be re-purposed to aid plants and rejuvenate skin along with a plethora of other uses. So next time you brew, make sure to recycle your grounds using these eco-friendly ideas.

One of my favorite things to create with coffee grounds are body scrubs. Caffeine can be absorbed through the skin, making this a perfect scrub to add to your morning routine. I mix coconut oil, almond oil, sugar and coffee grounds into a mason jar and put it on the shelf in my shower. The coarse grains in the coffee grounds act as an exfoliator by removing dead skin cells on your body.

Coffee grounds also help plants flourish. The used grounds attract earthworms and assist microorganisms in plant growth along with repelling pests such as rabbits. Coffee adds organic material to the soil, which helps with better water retention and air circulation. Placing coffee grounds in soil can be very beneficial for plants because the acidity in the bean allows plants such as azaleas, heathers, and blueberries to thrive. Additionally, as the grounds decompose they release nitrogen, which is a major component of photosynthesis, and other minerals that aid in plant growth.

Coffee candles are the perfect way to recycle your grounds and make your home smell lovely. Melt down soy wax flakes in a safe pot and pour in the coffee grounds. Once the flakes are liquified, pour into a mason jar that has a wick placed in the center. Your house will have a warm, welcoming scent of espresso every time you burn the candle.

Your coffee can be used beyond just waking you up in the mornings. Make sure to save your grounds and repurpose!