Songs

15 Songs For The One Trying To Recover From Their Last Relationship

Music is the universal language of the world and like for most people, it not only got me through a bad break up but my rape experience, as well.

37
Music

(Trigger Warning: This article contains sexual assault, depression, and suicidal experiences and profanity.)

Music has the incredible ability to transfer emotions from one person to the next. Everyone has a song that resonates with them on some deeper level. I don't know what I'd do without it. Heck, I'm listening to music right now, as I write this article. There's a song out there for every person and every experience.

Music has gotten me throughout, including you. You, who broke me down for years, you who raped and assaulted me, you who cheated and left me. So, here's all the songs that got me through my horrible experience and hopefully they can get some of you through your pain.

The first one is quite personal for me, for it almost exactly describes how my relationship ended. The song is about being in a relationship with someone who no longer puts effort into loving you and about coming to terms with how neglected you feel.

My ex and I didn't break up, because he cheated, he had done it before. We didn't break up, because he raped and assaulted me, I thought he loved me. We didn't break up, because we were so toxic to each other, we lived with it. We broke up because I felt so empty. He never tried to make me feel loved or wanted. He never fought for me. He never even cared to listen to me talk, his phone and games were more important to him than I could ever be.

I was so neglected, I felt that he was actually sucking my soul away. Each day, I exhausted myself a little more for him until I was barely breathing. I wasn't living, just surviving and I was so suicidal. When he cheated on me with a girl who was so young, I finally woke up. I knew I would never be enough. He was satisfied with whoever would put out for him, he didn't care about love.

Well, each one of these songs resonates a little with the feelings I went through during my break up and my assault experience. I link a Spotify playlist with these songs and a few others I also related to. I highly recommend you listen to them carefully, just maybe you'll hear my pain and healing in them.

Playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/506nn3sxee1exg0v8cvo...

1. Something's Gotta Give by Camila Cabello

2. Guys My Age by Hey Violet

3. Praying by Kesha

4. Stronger Than I Was by Eminem

5. Bad Guy by Set It Off

6. This is Me Breaking Up With You by Hey Violet

7. Phantom Love by Zach Callison

8. N.M.E by Set It Off

9. Til It Happens To You by Lady Gaga

10. Shout Out To My Ex by Little Mix

11. You Can't Take Me Anywhere by NateWantsToBattle

gfycat.com

12. Honestly (Encore) by Gabbie Hanna

13. Ancient History by Set It Off

14. Don't Say by The Chainsmokers 

15. The Haunting by Set It Off