Birthday Reflections

Birthday Reflections

The night my life changed.

32
Birthday Reflections
Max Pixel

Three years ago this week, my life took a major turn. See, this week is my "birthday week". Not my physical birthday, but rather, a more important one. I've never told all of the details to any one person, and I felt it was time to put the story on paper - or rather, the internet - in hopes that it might help someone else.

In July of 2014, I arrived at Patrick Henry College, nervous and excited, having no idea who I would meet or what was in store for me, I traveled there for Teen Camps, a week of studying leadership skills and various academic and vocational topics. Lectures are combined with exercises and projects to teach campers about different topics, with each week focusing on something different - mock trail, speech and debate, history, or strategic intelligence.

Wednesday night, campers filed in to the auditorium for chapel. I tagged along, not expecting anything much different than any other sermon I had heard. However, God had quite a different plan for me that night.

Savior I come, Quiet my soul, remember
Redemption's hill, where Your blood was spilled for my ransom
Everything I once held dear, I count it all as loss
Lead me to the cross where Your love poured out
Bring me to my knees, Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself, I belong to You
Lead me, lead me to the cross
You were as I, tempted and trialed, human
The word became flesh, bore my sin and death
Now you're risen
Lead me to the cross, where Your love poured out
Rid me of myself, I belong to You
Lead me, lead me to the cross

These words seeped into me, burying themselves in my mind, tugging at my heart. something was pleading with me to say them back with meaning. My tear-filled eyes could not leave the stage, fixated on the wooden cross behind the singer. as I sat there, in the dark little auditorium, a wave of realization swept over me. I was broken. Guilty. Alone. Dying. I had nothing if I did not accept the amazing gift in front of me.

That night, after years of apathy and indifference, fear and running from the unknown, I was given a new life.

Cut to today. I am far from perfect, but I've been taught so much over past the three years. A dear friend recently asked me what the biggest lesson God had taught me in the past three years is. There are so many that wasn't sure I could choose one! After a bit of mental debate, the lesson that sticks out the most is the one that most contrasts my personality. As a very type-A, independent, analytical person, I like to plan everything, know every detail, and control every area of my life. It's pretty intense - before I started at university, I had a four-year plan, listing every class and extra-curricular activity I needed.

But trusting in Jesus is more than simply saying a prayer and reading a special book. He wants every part of your life, and it's easy to want to hold on to certain things. For me, trusting Jesus with my eternity essentially means trusting him with my life on earth. I had to learn to give the details and plans to Him along with everything else.

This week, I am thankful to have known my Savior for three years, and grateful for the gift of a secure eternity with Him. I hope you have the same.