Recapping Super Bowl 53

Recapping Super Bowl 53

This was not the Super Bowl that fans of offense were hoping for.

120
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/usp-nfl_-super-bowl-liii-new-england-patriots-vs-l-3-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Photo by Ben Hershey on Unsplash

To most fans, Sunday nights showdown of Patriots against the Rams was fairly disappointing, as it ended up being the lowest scoring Super Bowl in history. Although the game was relatively a close game, it wasn't the close game that fans were hoping for at all. No touchdowns being scored through three full quarters made it tough to watch for fans, apart from those who were entertained by watching great defensive performances.

The game just seemed to be going back and forth with a punt after punt as neither team could put together any string of nice plays. Out of those punts, one of them broke the record for the longest punt in Super Bowl history, by Rams Kicker Johnny Hekker (65 yards).

As the fourth quarter went on, Tom Brady managed to do his thing and march down the field, ending the drive in the only touchdown of the night. This made the score 10-3, which allowed the Rams to stay in the game until an interception was thrown by Jared Goff in Patriots territory during the final minutes of the game.

After this interception, the Patriots were able to get another field goal, making the game a two-possession game of 13-3. The clock struck zero and the Patriots were Super Bowl champions for the 6th time, adding another ring to the Tom Brady and Bill Belichick era, or dynasty as some would say.

Julian Edelman, who caught for 10 passes and 141 yards, was awarded the Most Valuable Player award, winning his 3rd Super Bowl. Julian Edelman's story to MVP is a true Cinderella story, being drafted in the 7th round as the 232nd pick in 2009, he was always seen as an "average at best" player. Even with all of the people doubting him, he still managed to have a monstrous Super Bowl leading his team to a record-tying 6th Lombardi Trophy.

Although the 2018-2019 NFL season, in general, saw their ratings improve upon the previous 2017-2018 season, this did not hold true with the Super Bowl itself. Reports came out on Monday, February 4th that this year's Super Bowl had the lowest ratings in 10 years.