Reasons Why Mountains Are The Best

Reasons Why Mountains Are The Best

Mountains are just better than beaches

960
Reasons Why Mountains Are The Best

As many of my friends know, I am obsessed with mountains. I may even be in love with them. Going to school out of state, leaving beautiful Colorado and entering oh-so-flat Iowa, has made me appreciate these giant bumps on the earth even more. But if you haven't ever spent some time in a mountain town or on the slopes of a powder-covered ski run, you probably don't understand my obsession. So, here are a few reasons why mountains/mountain towns are the best.

1. Everyone is nice.

That seems simple but it's true. Everyone just wants to hang out, enjoy the beautiful views, have a local craft beer, and chill. With the constant trade-off between snow fluttering around and the increased brightness of the sun due to elevation, there's little room to be unhappy.

2. There's good food everywhere.

Whether you throw some chili in the crock pot before you hit the slopes and explore the town, or make your way into the tiny hidden taco joint, you won't be disappointed. By the end of the day when the elevation has finally gotten to you and your legs are sore from skiing, those tacos and a nice glass of water will do you dirty.

3. Everyone kind of looks like crap (in a cute way).

Every day is a hat day. Throw on that beanie your grandma gave you for Christmas and don't worry about showering. Wear those sweats your mom won't let you out of the house in and pair them with some swaggy Ugg boots. No one up here is going to judge you. It's about staying warm and comfortable, and everyone understands that. It's like a silent mutual agreement that you aren't expected to look presentable.

4. Mountains make you feel simplistic.

You may not be in a legit log cabin, but you will still feel as though the mountains are all around you (which they are). The best feeling is coming back to a warm and cozy room with a fireplace and some card games to play. You don't need much to be happy. The little things will make you smile.

5. Have you seen them? They're pretty amazing.

I don't think any picture will ever do the Rocky Mountains justice. You have to be standing on one of them to understand the true magnificence of them. It's more than a bump built on top of the ground. It's driving on curvy roads around them to reach your destination and paying respect to the command that they order. It's realizing how small you really are in this world and what that means. It's seeing the tree line where trees no longer grow because the mountain is too high up and no longer provides oxygen for them.

I could go on with a million other reasons, but I think I've at least set some good ideas down on the table for you. I don't know much about where you were raised, or what aspects of the world you have grown to admire, but if you ever get the chance you should visit Colorado and add mountains to the list. I would more than recommend it. I will forever pick the mountains over the beach.