Five Reasons You Should Watch Stranger Things

A run-down review of my favorite sci-fi thriller of all time.

7
screenrant.com

One of the most-watched shows ever produced by Netflix, Stranger Things is, simply put, my favorite supernatural thriller series of all time, edging out The X-Files and Twin Peaks. The show, set in the fictional town of Hawkins, Indiana, is a great tribute to its inspirational material; specifically 1980s science-fiction and the works of Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Steven King. Although it is only eight episodes long, it comes with more character development and a better story arc than many longer shows. If it weren't for my summer job I would have watched the entire series in a single day, and here are five reasons why:

1. The Music

The chilling, suspenseful atmosphere of Stranger Things relies heavily on the soundtrack. The score, composed by Michael Stein and Kyle Dixon (veterans of the electronic band Survive) uses synthesizers to their fullest extent both to establish atmosphere and pay homage to a multitude of 1980s artists and film composers. The relentless electronic thrumming brilliantly underscores the show's blend of the supernatural and scientific.

2. The Cinematography

As the breakout work of Matt and Ross Duffer, Stranger Things is a clear demonstration of their directorial skills. Although the camera work wasn't as noticeably complex as recent Game of Thrones episodes, it showed genius in its own ways. The Duffer Brothers moved the camera in ways that, upon re-watching for the third time, I noticed were direct callbacks to films like E.T. and The Goonies. As a result, the show instills the same feelings one would get looking back at an old childhood favorite, without necessarily falling too far into the rosy depths of nostalgia.

3. The Cast

Although Winona Ryder takes a starring role and David Harbour outright shines as Detective Hopper, the real gems of the show are the child actors. Finn Wolfhard, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp and the wonderful Gaten Matarazzo steal the show, only to have it stolen yet again by Eleven, an emotionally damaged psychokinetic girl played by Millie Bobby Brown. When they cried, I cried. When they laughed, I laughed. When they finally faced off against the monster, I was on my feet cheering them on. In no other show or movie, save maybe Harry Potter, have I seen such amazing acting talent at such a young age.

4. The Writing

My biggest pet peeve with thrillers of this sort is when the adults are oblivious and the kids have to solve the problem by themselves. Stranger Things takes that concept and throws it in the trash where it belongs. Every character approaches the conflict in their own way and, ultimately, they use this to supplement each others' skills and knowledge in a way that I've rarely seen. Special shout-outs go to teenaged Nancy Wheeler (played by Natalie Dyer) and David Harbour's Detective Hopper. The latter, in particular, quickly became my favorite character. I forgot that the show was set in Indiana, and for a time I referred to him as "New England Han Solo".

5. The Suspense

Stranger Things consistently kept me on the edge of my seat. Every episode ended in a way that, while not necessarily a cliffhanger, left me practically begging for the next one. The tension throughout was thick, but not suffocating, pressing down on me just enough to push me forward through the story like a captivated arrow shot from an unprepared bow. It was exhilarating, it was entertaining, it was enthralling.

It was Stranger Things.