8 Reasons Why You Should Travel Out East

8 Reasons You Should Travel Out East

Don't be afraid to explore Asia! It has so much to offer, and here are a few (of the many reasons) that you should travel to Asia on your next big vacation.

243
8 Reasons You Should Travel Out East
Tanisha Paul

Over the past few years, it has come to my attention that a lot of non-Asian Americans never really travel to Asia. Families go on vacations in Africa and Europe, but never make it out to Asia. I'm writing this short list of reasons why you should go to Asia to convince you to consider going to Asia when planning your next big trip. I've traveled all over Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and many other Asian countries, and nothing compares to all the memories I've made while in Asia.

1. You get to experience transportation on a new level.

The U.S. has yet to have bullet trains that can take you from one side of the country to the other in a few hours. In Japan and China, you can sit back and relax while the train whizzes away at 200 mph and takes you across the country. In Sri Lanka and India you can zoom through traffic while riding on tuk-tuks and feeling the wind blow through your hair.

2. The food is so cheap (and delicious!!!)

I got this entire meal from a food court in Japan for less than 5 USD!

Photo by Tanisha Paul

Have you ever dreamt about eating hundreds of dumplings or chowing down on satays? Food is ridiculously cheap and you can usually have a full meal for less than ½ of U.S. prices. Explore street food, and don't be afraid to try things outside of chicken and beef. One of my tips is to wait until after you finish eating to ask what you ate. Don't worry about the calories because you're probably going to be doing a lot of walking.

3. You will see some amazing and unique architecture.

The Putra Mosque in Kuala Lumpur is a massive mosque with vibrant colors that blends Arab-Islamic, Persian, and Malaysian architecture. If you think this pic is cool, you should go inside of it.

Photo by Tanisha Paul

It's amazing how thousands of years ago there were massive structures built all over Asia. Did you know that the Great Wall of China was built starting in 770 BC? Another prime example is Angkor Wat, translated to "temple city," which was built in the 12th century in Cambodia and is still one of the biggest religious structures in the world.

4. There is a story behind everything.

India is home to many different forts and palaces, and the above picture is of Amber Fort.

Photo by Tanisha Paul

No matter what you do or where you go, there is always a story behind everything. Whether it is Shah Jahan constructing the Taj Mahal for his beloved wife or how Hang Sung Sot, otherwise known as the Cave of Surprises, evolved after 500 million years of geological transformation, you'll always learn something new.

5. You can shop until you drop.

If you want a new pair of sunglasses, furniture, some cute new earrings or some stylish scarfs: you can always find them in a local market. You might have to bargain the price, but you'll have some fun stories to tell if you bargain with the local people. Piece of advice - never take the first price they offer.

6. You'll be able to discover some new bops.

I've spent the past few months listening to Drake and Taylor Swift on repeat, but travelling through the Incheon airport and road tripping all over India gave me some new tunes to listen to. KPop and Bollywood both have some amazing bops, and 10/10 would recommend listening to Blackpink and Mickey Singh. I discovered one of my favorite boy-bands (TFBoys) while I was studying abroad in China.

7. You can go out of your comfort zone. 

I took this picture while watching a cultural show in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. This show included a combination of sound, light, dancing, and various props.

Photo by Tanisha Paul

Asia has 48 unique countries, but there are hundreds of unique cultures all over Asia. China itself has over 50 ethnic groups and over 200 dialects!! Oftentimes we like to live within our own bubbles, but travelling gives you chances to widen your perspective to the world around you.

8. You can try so many new fruits.

upload.wikimedia.org

I had to add another point about food because you can't go to Asia without trying new fruits. No matter what market or grocery store you go to, I guarantee that you will be able to find a new fruit. Some of my personal favorites are rambutans and lychees. If you're feeling adventurous, you can even go for some durian.

I've traveled to Asia so many times and I am always still in awe of everything that has been built in Asia. Some of the palaces and forts took 20+ years to build, and it amazing that these structures have lasted for hundreds of years. No matter where you go in Asia, you will always learn something new. Don't be afraid to travel to Asia! Go study abroad in China or climb Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia. Whatever you do, I promise that it will be worth it.