9 Reasons Spring Break Doesn't Have To Be Spent On A Beach

Why go where the crowd wants when you've been dying to go elsewhere?

54

Cancun, Punta Cana, Berlin, Miami -- one of these is not like the other. And no, it's not Miami, the lone representation of the U.S., it's Berlin -- the lone representation of Europe and more importantly, the only location far from the beach. The other three are each oft-picked hotspots for vacations, and for students, spring break destinations. And while I'm sure they are perfectly lovely for people who enjoy, well, beaches and alcohol consumption in bikinis, I am sadly not one of these people.

Word on the street is, these people very much enjoy their beaches & alcohol in bathing attire!

And when I say "sadly" I mean thank-the-effin-Lord there are other options out there. Because -- hello -- there are SO many places you can visit for a week in March!! Even with college student funds, there are affordable trips within the country (hiking through the Rockies, road tripping through the National parks on the west coast, jamming out in Nashville, etc.) and one can even venture outside the country and still get a good price if they budget and aren't high maintenance about it! The point is there are loads of options for spring break vacation besides the ones that people might throw at you and while getting a tan before the summer is appealing for some, I'm not going to pretend it's something I care about because, well, quite frankly I couldn't give less of a hoot about tan lines. So, if you're like me, you might find these reasons good enough to convince you to go on that spring break trip you've secretly been dreaming of... even if it's not where "everyone else" is going.

1. Because that's what summer is for

Beaches and bikinis and feeling shitty about the ice cream that you ate last night. No need to bring that nonsense up before its time.

2. Because culture > tan lines

Okay, so maybe that's a subjective thing to say and up to each person's interpretation and opinion but.... c'mon. Doing things that invigorate you, that's where you'll get your true color and spirit from. I know it makes my cheeks red and bright, and without the pain of a sunburn, too, so it's truly a win-win.

3. Because some people aren't good at sitting still

Apparently some people would rather be bopping along to new locations and new activities rather than following the “pool, beach, pool bar, nightclub, repeat” routine. Weird, right?...

4. Because they're often pre-planned...

Riveting.

...and while pre-planned trips are a luxury and a weight off the shoulders for some folks, they are an absolute prison and nightmare for others.

5. Because, money. Duh.

The aforementioned pre-planned trips and packages are also charging you more than you ought to be paying… and as a broke college kid with graduation and loans looming, I’m gonna pass on spending unnecessary money. I'd rather pay for less luxury, and more adventures. If I'm gonna do spring break, I plan on doing it my way.

6. Because "everyone else is doing it" is not and will never be a good reason to do absolutely anything

This picture makes me feel claustrophobic and anxious and reminds me of every club I've ever hated.

And, as a follow-up, going on the class trip is a great idea until you realize there’s about 20 people in your grade that you like, and not even all of them are going on the trip

(if any).

7. "You mean I get to hang out with the kids in my philosophy class who alternated between snoozing, online shopping, and talking about how wasted they got this weekend?!?!?! WOW. I would love to spend a week hanging out with these exhilarating people!!"

Nooooope. No thank you. Would rather get my wisdom teeth out. Again.

8. Because this might be the last trip you take for a while, so you'd better make it count

And for some, that may mean visiting a beach resort but what about the people who really enjoyed their time abroad in Europe and want to relive it for a week? Or Africa? Or South America? Or wherever you've been dying to go... just go. And keep in mind, if you're going with friends, this could be your last time evertraveling together so you really should just go wherever you think you'd have the most fun, beaches or otherwise.

9. And, well, because not everyone likes the beach.

Mountains, anyone?

...Or you could appease everyone and go somewhere with the total package: culture, nature/mountains, freedom to do what you want, and hey -- is that a beach in the distance?