8 Reasons To Love 'Shameless'

8 Reasons To Love 'Shameless'

The Gallaghers are a different type of "goals."

115
8 Reasons To Love 'Shameless'
Newsclip

Warning: spoilers ahead. If you are someone who has watched Shameless in its entirety on Netflix, then you know it is one of the best shows the streaming service has to offer. Not only that, but it is one of the best shows to ever be on TV. From the complicated characters, to the intense moments, to all the laughs, the show is definitely one to watch and one that has easily become one of my favorites. Here are eight reasons why Shameless is worth watching:

1. Independent characters.

It's rare that a show has such independent characters in their main lineup. From day one the Gallaghers have to fend for themselves, something most kids at their age are not used to nor should have to be used to. They each had jobs as soon as possible, taking whatever they could get to help the family pay the bills. As I watched the show, I found myself reflecting on how I would never be able to pull off what they did at their age.

2. Mental illness.

The show deals a lot with mental illness. From Monica's Bipolar disorder to Ian developing the same illness, the show brings attention to the fact that mental illness is very prevalent and affects many people. It was hard to watch Ian, one of the most lovable characters on the show, have to go through dealing with his disorder. It was also powerful to see him deal with it, both in a bad way and a good way as he tried to understand what was going on with him.

3. Serious, yet funny.

When I explain the show to people I have a hard time saying how it is very serious with family issues, drugs, abuse, alcoholism, yet it is all delivered with frequent funny moments that you almost forget something serious is happening. It's always good to have a show that can make you laugh and cry all in one episode.

4. The constant law-breaking.

It's addicting to watch every episode and see what the Gallaghers and their friends can get away with next. Sometimes they do get caught, as we've seen with Fiona and Carl, but they still get away with more than most people would be able to pull off.

5. The ups and the downs.

Again, this show is all about balance. There's definitely plenty of low points but there's also high points as well. As much as the Gallaghers face numerous struggles, they also have positive moments, too, despite everything that they've had to deal with over the years.

6. The Story of Ian and Mickey.

This made the show ten times better in my opinion. A realistic, raw and unexpected couple that everyone was always cheering for. When Ian and Mickey first got together, I was a little thrown off, but it was amazing to watch their relationship develop. From Mickey being scared of coming out, to realizing nobody really cared. His dad cared, of course, but Ian had his back as he always did. Mickey sticking by Ian's side through his manic moments as well as depressed moments was also powerful to see. The entirety of their relationship made the end of season five that much harder to watch.

7. Frank.

Frank is the character that everyone loves to hate. He's a terrible father, a drunk, not to mention lazy and unemployed. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that despite Frank's bad qualities, there are some positive ones, because there aren't. But that doesn't mean I don't love watching his rants or the messes he gets himself into.

8. The Gallaghers themselves.

There's cookie-cutter family types of shows where families are close and are always there for each other, and then there is Shameless where each of the Gallagher children are genuinely all there for each other. Through jail, owing debt, teaming up against Frank, earning money and much more, the Gallagher kids stick together. As I said before, they were forced from a young age to grow up fast and going through their hardships together made them that much closer. I would say that their family is "goals" but more in the sense of how they always have each other's back.