Learn a Foreign language

9 Reasons You Should Study A Foreign Language

"The more languages you know, the more you are human." – Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk

42
https://www.pexels.com/photo/pen-writing-notes-studying-8769/

Contemplating finally tackling a new language? What's stopping you?

As somebody going on their tenth year of studying a foreign language, I can say this, there are no disadvantages to learning a second language, only advantages. One of these advantages being, it will undoubtedly change your entire life. If you still need a little more convincing, check out these nine reasons you should add "study a foreign language" to your to-do list this year.

1. It improves your English.

You may not believe me, but yes, learning a new language can actually improve your English skills. As a student of Spanish, I have learned more about grammar rules, specifically conjugation (how many people can say they actually know what that means in English?), through the process of picking up a second language.

2. Travel destinations are limitless.

If you're a free spirit at heart and plan to travel internationally in the future, it's not a bad idea to learn a new language. Not only will you feel more comfortable in a foreign country, but the travel opportunities become endless.

3. It creates more job opportunities!

One of the most practical reasons to learn a second language? Money. The acquirement of a second language is incredibly marketable in today's world, opening many doors for those that are bilingual, including pay raises.

4. It's a great way to meet new people.

One of the best ways to meet new people is through learning a second language. Not only can you meet more people with your knowledge of new languages, but the people you meet along your journey of studying language quickly become friends that share a very unique and specific experience with yourself.

5. Not only do you learn the language, but you learn about the culture.

Many times when committing to learn a second language you think about learning new words and how to speak to other people using those words. What many of us don't realize is the culture that comes with learning a language. Not only will you pick up the language, but you will become aware of the cultural aspects that accompany the language.

6. It opens the door to an entire new world of popculture.

As a music lover myself, one of the most exciting parts of studying Spanish was realizing the entire world of music I had yet to discover. Once you begin to understand the language better, you can immerse yourself in a new world of pop culture including movies, music, and books!

7. Language will never be a barrier.

Once you finally learn a second language, the language barrier will never again be an excuse to not do what you want to do!

8. Your worldview will change.

You will learn the language. You will learn about yourself. And your worldview WILL change. It happens.

9. Bragging rights.

After conquering that second language, there's nothing better than those well deserved bragging rights.