5 Reasons To Keep A Journal And ACTUALLY Use It

Imagine having a personal book for with the details outlining every day of your life ('cause that's a journal!)

16

As a kid, I always loved keeping a diary. It was where I kept my secrets, my frustrations, my musings, crushes' names and more. However as a college senior, I've learned to truly cherish my journals. They give me something to look back on, smile about and even see my personal growth throughout the years. So now, I want to convince you all why keeping a journal is worth it.

1. It improves your memory

Journaling means thinking back on your day from start to finish in detail. What was the first thing you did when you woke up this morning? What conversations did you have? Who did you see? What made this day stand out? All of those things allow you to think back, contemplate on how good/bad your day was and remember conversations down to the last word. This definitely improves your memory skills!

2. It gives you something to look back on

You won't remember the little details of every day off the top of your head later on, but reading through your journal will prompt your old memories to come to the surface and reminisce on things you've forgotten about years later. It is SO special and sentimental.

3. It improves your mental health

What better way is there to stay focused on the present and express your emotions than journaling? You can write down all of your sadness, frustration, struggles, and successes in a book that will keep all of your secrets sealed. No judgments, just you and the paper waiting to be filled with writing. Believe me when I say it helps organize your thoughts and serves as a healthy coping mechanism. You can say literally whatever you want without fear of what will be said in return because it's just an inanimate object! See the appeal yet?

4. It's a good pastime

Rather than spending your free time binge-watching TV or scrolling through social media, you can journal about your day and reason through your problems, setbacks and organize your thoughts in a journal. Trust me, it'll keep you occupied. Writing takes longer than you think.

5. It's fun!

Journaling is a very enjoyable activity. I personally love writing, so my journal is usually the rough draft for many of the blog posts I write and publicize. It makes you cherish your good days so much more when you commit them to memory.

I know journaling can be time-consuming and you'll think you'll remember all your important days, but eventually, you forget things. Put more time into this hobby instead of social media, for example, and chances are, you'll be more satisfied with your daily routine. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk!