Reasons To Go To NITC

Reasons To Go To NITC

"Nevada's Legendary Country Music Festival"
1

It’s that time of year again.

The time of the year when people get rowdy, party all night long, and enjoy the company of friends as they take in the sounds of country music.

Night in the Country (NITC) is a country music festival held in Yerington, Nevada, every late July. You get to camp out in the desert, whether it’s in a tent or trailer, and you get to spend the weekend with people who are all there for the same reason as you…to escape reality and have a good time with friends and family. The profits made from Night in the Country benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Mason Valley.

I attended NITC in the summer of 2014, and it was one of the best highlights of my year. It was my first time going, and I couldn’t have gone with a better group. Half of the group were experienced goers while the other half were just as new as me to the whole event.

Man, all I can describe that weekend was that it was unforgettable. The music, the friends I was with, the new people I met in random campsites…there’s nothing better than being able to enjoy country music with people who like country music as much as you do.

Sara Torgerson was one of the people I attended NITC with, and without her, I probably would have been lost on what to do for and at NITC. She has attended NITC four times, and this year will be her fifth.

“NITC is a weekend of pure fun with friends where you don’t have to worry about anything,” said Torgerson.

Brian Kehoe has attended NITC once so far but will be unable to attend this year since he will be out of town that weekend.

“It is impossible to feel unhappy when country music is in the air," he said. "Even for non-country lovers…the saying eat, drink, and be merry really comes alive out there since the amazing music is only footsteps away from the campgrounds which means the food, music, bar and bed are all so close. Being a NEVADA student, I saw so many of my classmates out there really helping making the experience that much stronger.”

Bailey Clark has gone to NITC the past two years.

“I go because I personally am a fan of country music and camping,” said Clark. “My friends also go, which makes it 10 times more fun because I’m with people I enjoy being around.”

Everyone at NITC is so friendly, offering you drinks here and there, people saying "hi" to you, taking pictures with you, dancing with you…it is an event that has to be experienced.

Even if you are not a huge fan of country music, it is still fun to try something new, and if you still don’t like country music after your experience, at least you got to spend the weekend with friends and family.