Why You Should Cosplay

6 Reasons Why You Should Get Into Cosplay

While some see it as childish and pointless, others see it as a fun way to express themselves and show their appreciation for their favorite things.

72
Emily Slanga

It's no secret that people like to dress accordingly when they go to events like festivals, fairs, or conventions. Whether this means throwing on a pair of cute, flowy pants, creating an extravagant makeup look that you wouldn't wear on an ordinary day, or equipping yourself with replicated video game armor, it's always fun to dress the part. When it comes to cosplay, there is always the subconscious annoyances of never wearing a completed costume again or having it take up space in your already cramped closet. However, it all feels worthwhile when you see someone's face light up to admire your handiwork and bond over the shared interest (plus, think of all the bomb selfies you'll have).

1. It brings fantasy into the real world

A lot of people like books, movies, and video games because they are able to be part of a story that otherwise wouldn't be possible in real life (still waiting on my Hogwarts acceptance letter, TBH). Cosplay allows those individuals to bring those beloved characters to life, and sometimes even acting the part. I can't tell you how many instances I've seen at conventions where a person dressed as Deadpool is present and hilarity ensues.

2. It develops your sewing skills (which is something everyone needs to have)

I'm not saying you need to be a whiz at sewing, but you should at least know how do fix a hole in your clothing with a basic hand stitch. When creating cosplay from scratch, chances are you'll be measuring the person who will wear the costume to make sure it will fit correctly, learning how to use a sewing machine so you're not working on one piece for hours by hand (unless you prefer that), and using different types of stitches so the costume will appear like it does from the source material.

3. It's a bonding experience with like-minded people

https://www.facebook.com/1973804299552047/photos/a.1973804326218711.1073741825.1973804299552047/2018281618437648/?type=1&theater

If you're a "Star Wars" fan, how cool would it be to run into this awesome Rey at a convention? As an introvert, even I like talking with others about the source materials of our cosplay and discussing our favorite theories, jokes, and occurrences. You don't have to become best friends with that person or anything, but for some people, it's fun being at a convention where everyone is passionate about something.

4. It's a great way to feel comfortable with your appearance

upload.wikimedia.org

If you're someone who struggles with insecurities like I do, dressing up as a favorite character helps minimize those fears because I instead get to focus on feeling like the character. However, even if you feel confident in your body (which you could learn to do through cosplay), it's just fun to walk around in a costume that makes you feel good about yourself!

P.S., just because you like someone's cosplay or they're wearing something "revealing" does not mean you are allowed to touch them or photograph them without their knowing approval. Cosplay is not consent.

5. It takes a lot of effort to put together a detailed, character-accurate costume, so cosplay is an art that should be appreciated

When you boil it down, an experienced cosplay maker has made a costume that looks like it could have come straight from its source material. The original concept artist, costume designer, or game developer was likely paid a lot of money to create the look, and an "everyday" person was able to recreate it and look flawless while wearing it out of their own pocket. As seen in the above gif, sometimes it even requires electrical/mechanical knowledge to make a costume look like it does in a movie without the CGI.

6. Cosplay can also be made by simply putting the right pieces together or incorporated into day-to-day life with inspired outfits

Still working on your crafting skills or can't make it to a convention? Simple cosplay is just as fun as the complex costumes! If you want to save money, you could just scour through your local thrift stores for pieces of clothing and modify where you please and achieve the desired outcome. Alternatively, you can channel your favorite characters on the daily by wearing outfits that are inspired by the original look! This is the concept behind Disneybounding as seen in the image above, and it doesn't require the outfit to look exactly like the source material!