6 Reasons Adopting A Dog Is A Lot Better Than Buying One

6 Reasons You'll Miss Out If You Buy Your Dog From A Breeder Instead Of Adopting A Rescue

Rescue dogs with rough upbringings will appreciate you A LOT more.

664
Personal Photo

If you've ever considered adopting a dog, you've probably pictured yourself adopting from a breeder or a pet shop. While the cute puppies with sweet eyes in pet shops have no problem getting adopted, many rescued dogs aren't so fortunate.

Rescued dogs have a lot of potentials and can make a great addition to your household, despite coming from troubled backgrounds.

1. Adopting costs less. 

Let's face it, getting a dog is expensive. Most breeders will charge hundreds or even thousands for their puppies. This expense usually doesn't include vaccination and license fees.

When you adopt a rescued dog, the vaccination and license fees are usually covered by rescue organizations and fosters. Adoption fees are also significantly lower than purchasing from a breeder. So not only will adopting through a rescue organization save you money, but vaccinations and other necessary fees will be taken care of.

2. Caring for a rescue dog is rewarding.

Caring for a rescued dog isn't always easy. Many of these dogs come from horrendous situations including abuse, poor living conditions and neglect. With that being said, these dogs usually require extra patience and someone willing to work with them.

While caring for these dogs is a lot of work, the payoff is rewarding. Watching a rescued dog come out of their shell and learn to love and trust you is one of the most gratifying feelings.

One of my rescued dogs came from a background of abuse and neglect. She required extra patience and attention and it was quite difficult at times. However, with a little love and support, she became energetic and learned to trust people again.

3. You'll support communities that care about animals.

Rescue organizations are run by people who dedicate their lives to helping animals. Most people volunteer and foster dogs in addition to their daytime jobs. These people are not in it for the money, instead their goal is to place dogs into loving families.

By adopting a dog from a rescue organization, you will be supporting the funds of this organization. This allows organizations to keep caring for dogs and placing them into kind households.

4. You'll save a life.

Dogs that end up within rescue organizations often come from a rough background. Some were strays and some were waiting to be euthanized in over-crowded shelters.

If you adopt from a rescue organization, you are giving a dog a second chance at a new life. You have the power to save a life and give a dog a chance to experience love and stability.

5. You can find exactly what you're looking for in a dog.

Unlike when purchasing dogs through breeders or pet stores, adopting through an organization can allow you to find the qualities you are looking for in a dog. People within rescues spend a lot of time working with and getting-to-know the dogs they foster.

This allows foster parents to match people with dogs that would be a good fit. Rescue organizations want to help you find a dog that fits in with your household. By going through an organization, you can work with volunteers and sponsors to find your ideal dog.

6. They will change your life.

Adopting a rescue dog will change your life. It will require you to be patient and energetic. You will need to give this dog all the love and support in the world. However, you will find that he completes your life and brings a sense of love and trust that you have never experienced before.

Some of the most amazing dogs I've ever had have been rescued from rough pasts. They have been the most gentle and compassionate dogs I've ever owned due to the constant love and support they've received.

So what are you waiting for? Go out there and find your fur-ever friend!