5 Reasons Thanksgiving Shouldn't Be So Underrated

But just because Christmas is great doesn’t mean that we can just skip Thanksgiving.
25

Now that Halloween has been officially over for a while, it’s time to move on to the next holiday—THANKSGIVING! In case you didn’t know, Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of the November and it’s a glorious time where food and family are celebrated.

However, since Thanksgiving is only a month before Christmas, the common trend is to overlook Thanksgiving and start celebrating Christmas super early.

I guess if that’s how you want to live your life, then go ahead, but Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday to “get through.” It should be thoroughly enjoyed, and here’s why.

1. No one stresses about Thanksgiving.

It’s literally a holiday where people can get off school and work to eat and spend time with their families. Plus there are cool things on TV, like the Macy's Day parade. How wholesome is that?

2. You don’t have to buy gifts.

Another thing people stress about during Christmas. As fun as receiving gifts is, having to go out and buy gifts for every member of your family can be a daunting task, and let's not ignore how expensive it is too! Why would you bring these things upon yourself earlier than you have to?

3. It’s not as commercialized as Christmas.

Thanksgiving's meaning and origin hasn't been distorted like Christmas's has. Thanksgiving is a holiday with no religious or national ties. Christmas, on the other hand, is originally just supposed to be for Christians to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Instead, it's now about Santa Claus who lives in the North Pole that brings toys on his sleigh. It's a bit of a stretch of the truth. Although the setting of Thanksgiving takes place in America, the concepts and lessons from it are universal to people all over the world. There are no true religious or national ties with Thanksgiving.

4. It’s low-key.

There may be some cleaning involved, but it’s just one day with only a little bit of preparation and planning. Yeah there is cooking, but it can be fun! Bake some cookies and make a pumpkin pie and there will be some instant gratification after all the work cooking.

5. It’s officially socially acceptable to start celebrating Christmas once it’s over!

Once Thanksgiving is over, it’s only a month until Christmas! Instead of slowly building up all the Christmas festivities through November, go at full force the day after Thanksgiving. And a way you can start is by going out on Black Friday and getting all your Christmas shopping done!

Christmas is an amazing holiday, don’t get me wrong. But just because Christmas is great doesn’t mean that we can just skip Thanksgiving. Look forward to Thanksgiving for the rest of the month and really take the time to enjoy it when it gets here!