Reasons Summer Vacation Sucks in College
Seasonal

All the Reasons Summer Vacation Sucks in College (For Me)

"When summer gets boring, I think about how fun it would be if I were in school right now." -Unknown

190

I was really looking forward to coming home this summer since it would be my first time back semi-permanently from college. Out of all of my friends, I was the only one who went away for school, and I was so excited to start doing things with them again. There was something almost too appealing about being in the nasty NYC public pools… I had great memories there with my middle school group of friends (yes, I still talk to them), and despite the obnoxious rules and the (probably) infested water, I was excited. The same went for the beach. New York City beaches are nasty, but I looked forward to those long nights that I had spent there with my friends just laughing and hoping to not catch some sort of foreign garbage disease or whatever.

However, I have about a month until school starts, and this has been the least eventful summer yet. I did not plan to go on any vacations, and maybe I should have because I AM BORED AS HELL. I do spend time volunteering at an organization I have been part of for three years now, and I love it but I am tired of being there every day and just sitting at home on each subsequent day.

All of my friends are working.

A beach day with my ol' middle school pals (2017)

While I am proud that all of my friends have jobs, like yas boo boo get that coin, it has been so hard to coordinate plans with them. My three main best friends and I keep trying to coordinate, but it is almost like one person's break days are another's work day. While we all finally did get to meet and catch up on a whole year of college, high school (for one of them), relationships, and petty drama, that day took so long to plan out. My other main friend group is just never free all at the same time. We have people working days, nights, some still in school, and it just has not been working. Some of them are in relationships and they do not show up unless their significant other does too. I mean, I know we all saw it coming, but it is heartbreaking to never be able to see each other.

Finding a job in NYC is hard.

I need money really badly...

Now, I love living in New York City. It is a very entertaining city, and the minimum wage is almost $14. However, I have not been able to find a job. Well, I did, but I will tell you that story in a second. Many companies have been very unwilling to hire temporary/summer workers since there is a chance of wanting to hire them permanently (and not to toot my own horn, but I am pretty sure my work ethic would make them want to have me forever). Even when I got some interviews, they wanted me to be able to work until the end of September (which I cannot since I go back to school in August). I did however get hired to work at a (really boujee) lemonade stand in the meatpacking district. It seemed like an easy job too; all I had to do was pour lemonade, so I was okay with being paid only $10/hour + tips for this part-time position. My interview went great, and the manager hired me and another girl. They told us we would start on July 1st, and possibly have a training and team bonding day between all four employees in the last week of June. I was excited, and the manager even started a group chat with all of us to check in. July 1st rolled around, and she told us to just enjoy our independence day weekend and that we would start after the holiday was over. We all accepted it, but then we were never texted… I texted the manager separately on the 15th, and she said they were still finalizing things design wise, and that she would let us know. It is the 18th now, and I am still not working, so I have lost all faith in that stand (and probably will not trust another job offer from there again). Now with a little over a month left of vacation, no one will hire me now.

Everyone is in a relationship.

Aw, my friends, Justin and Emma, just hit their three-year anniversary!

Me and my iPhone 7 at Rockaway

I do not know how all my friends did it, but almost all of them have a significant other now that they spend their free time with if they are not working. I was in one too in the beginning, but that relationship was kind of short-lived since I was not really feeling the guy. I support all of my friends and they are all dating such rad people, but I either have not seen them or have just been playing third wheel. I don't really mind being a third wheel, but it is not the most favorable role… My two best guy friends are so MIA in my life even though they live within a half mile from me. I do respect their girlfriends, and they are both very nice (also really pretty like what the heck I'm about to steal you guys), but WHERE THE HELL IS MY BEST FRIEND???

It. Is. Too. Damn. Hot.

If you look closely you will notice that I am everyone's favorite third wheel

I know I should just turn on the AC, but my mom does not let me. Why? Because it would raise our damn electric bill. A few days ago, I asked her if we could turn it on for two hours, and she said, "Let me mop the floor with cold water so that it gets cooler in here." And with my now wet, but cold, floor we still did not turn the AC on. I live in the attic of a house, and heat rises and somehow traps itself in the attic (even though we have so many drafts that blow in during winter). I have witnessed my chapstick melt in that house. It is to the point that the weather outside my house is cooler than the inside, even on a 95-degree day.

Philippine Independence Day Parade 2018!Ugnayan Youth

I do not regret this summer at all though. I have kept myself busy by taking online classes that make me want to rip my hair out, and I love spending time with my Filipino friends at our organization. I just wish my summers were as eventful as they have been in the past. But, that is the reality of growing up; all your friends having their own lives and responsibilities, having to work, spending time with others, etc. I still do love all my friends though, and want nothing less than the best for them all, but I just miss being around them and loving them in person.

I am actually going to the beach this weekend, so that is something to look forward too. My "twin sister" in high school who I have not seen since graduation is going to be there, but me going is a surprise for her. Exciting! I am just not ready to feel like a sushi roll again since the beach we are going to is full of seaweed…

I hope you are all having an amazing summer (or at least one better than mine), and to my Oswego friends, I cannot wait to see you all again in a month!