Why I Choose Not to Party

Why I Choose Not to Party

Being the "boring" friend has more benefits than people realize.

258
Why I Choose Not to Party
Bad Control

“You aren't fun.”

“Why are you so boring?”

“You’re never going to meet new people if you don’t go out.”

Those are just some of the questions I receive from my friends on a weekly basis. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy going out on occasion, but I am not a 2-3 nights a week party girl. Or even a weekly party girl for that matter. I enjoy having a few beers by a lake or a glass or two of wine at night, but that is the extent of my adult beverage enjoyment for the most part. Whoa whoa whoa, a sorority girl that remembers her weekends? But that goes against every stereotype… yep you caught me (and a ton of other girls c'mon we don't live in a movie). So when people approach me and tell me I am “no fun” for not drinking or experimenting with drugs or going out every weekend, I just sit and think to myself, “wow my priorities are screwed up.”

Let’s straighten a few things out real quick.

1. Stereotypes, specifically college stereotypes, are ridiculous-- putting people into a box does not determine reality.
  2. Not every college student wants to blackout every weekend.
  3. Going to parties multiple times a week does not determine if a person is fun or not.
  4. I am not against partying, I think it can be loads of fun. I just prefer parties to be a special occasion that I enjoy once in awhile. It just is not the lifestyle for me.

Got it? Okay good.

So why do I choose not to party on a regular basis? Well as much as I would like to construct the world's most sarcastic (but true) list of reasons why, I’ll just give the real answer(s). I am not trying to throw shade at people who party-- do what you enjoy! These are just the reasons I make it an occasional activity.

I enjoy sleep.

So obvious but even more true. I take 17 credit hours, work 20 hours a week, write articles every week, do a crap ton of homework (woohoo science majors), workout, make sure my dog is exercised/given enough love, and I still make time to hang out with friends a few times a week. I love what I do, but I am so tired so often. I would much rather get a solid 9 hours of sleep than waste money on alcohol and stay out until 3 am. Plus, if I get to sleep by a reasonable time, I will be able to get up earlier and get the most out of my days-- total win.

Alcohol is expensive.

I have no idea how ‘broke’ college students can buy $15-$30 or more worth of alcohol each weekend. My logic is I'd prefer to spend that money on gas to take a trip to Estes park for the day or to go snowboarding. Those memories will last me infinitely longer than any bottle will.

I care about my body more than the average Joe.

I work at a gym, I workout 5-6 days a week, I (usually) meal prep and eat very healthy. Why would I ever want to throw away all my hard work on alcohol which can reach up to 226 calories a shot according to http://getdrunknotfat.com (check out the website for a comprehensive list of alcohol calories).There is no way I am going to waste that many macros on a liquid that will, in turn, make me hungry more than once in a blue moon. Hard pass.

I have other responsibilities.

I have a dog and a job. I have a responsibility to my dog to be home a reasonable amount of time during each day-- I can’t just not come home at night because I got drunk and passed out somewhere. Her quality of life depends on me, and that is not a responsibility I take lightly. Also, if I show up to work hungover or worse I call off because I am, I could get fired. Plus working hungover would be miserable. That is a risk I can’t afford to take.

I would prefer to be doing something to better myself.

Instead of drinking, I could be getting my grades up, working out, actually working, or making memories (that I will remember the next day). I am all about personal growth and moving forward, anything I can do to help me reach my goals I will do.

I just don’t care.

Standing in a hot room with other belligerent drunk college kids, crossing my fingers that the cops won’t get called is not a common activity I enjoy. I don’t care to watch people fall over, or to be one of them. I don’t care to risk getting a misdemeanor or worse on my record. Most importantly, I don’t care that it is what the majority of my friends are doing. They do what makes them happy, and I do what makes me happy. Thank goodness I do not have party FOMO (fear of missing out).

Hopefully, that cleared a few things up. Make fun of me all you want, but I am more than happy to be the “boring” friend on any given night. Sure I may not be the life of the party, but I am always up for adventure, and that is worth it to me.