7 Reasons Montauk Is A Place Like No Other

The beach front town that has come to be my favorite place on Earth.

697
YouTube

Montauk is a town that lies all the way at the end of the east side of Long Island, New York.

For the past several years, my family has made its way down a congested LIE to spend out summers in what I think is the greatest place on Earth. The number of things to do and see is what makes Montauk such a special place.

1. The Beaches

When it comes to Montauk, the beaches are an obvious reason why it's such an incredible place to be. From beaches that lie on the sound side like Culloden Point and Gin Beach to the beaches that are down on the ocean side like Hither Hills and Ditch Plains, the beaches in Montauk are unlike any other on Long Island. They're clean and full of a wide variety of people from vacationers, to year-long inhabitants, and the large group of surfers.

2. Memory Motel

The Memory Motel is a major landmark in our small Long Island town. Although Montauk is full of beachfront motels and resorts, the Memory Motel is definitely a special one. During the summer, this motel is home to a bar and a lot of twenty-something-year-olds. But, since 1995, this motel has been the home of the Rolling Stones song, "Memory Motel".

3. The Live Music

The Gosmans' Summer Concert Series, various restaurants, hotels, and shops around town are some of the many places you can find live music in Montauk. If you go a day without hearing some of the Montauk famous bands such as the Sturdy Souls or Nancy Atlas, did you really spend a day in Montauk?

4. The Food

The food in Montauk is some of the best food I've ever had. From the fast food options you can get at locations like John's Drive-In and the Munch Box, to the fancier restaurants like Harvest on Fort Pond and Swallow East, and of course the sweet treats you can get at locations like Ralph's Famous Italian Ices and the Montauk Bake Shoppe, there's something for everyone to eat and enjoy.

4. The Night Life

The nightlife in Montauk is something that has caused quite the uproar for our little beach town. Though some may see the nightlife as a hazard and interruption to the calm and quiet town, I think it's really nice that there's now more to do at night in Montauk. The clubs and bars all over town created an open door for more young people, which is creating room for the new generation of Montauk.

5. The Shops

The local shops in Montauk are so special. The toy stores such keep the kids happy, the t-shirt shops keep the tourists happy, the surf shops keep all of the locals happy, and the clothing stores certainly keep me happy.

6. The Farmers Market

Thursday is my favorite day in Montauk for one reason and one reason only; The Farmers Market. This day is so unique with a plethora of local Long Island businesses that come together. Plus, munching on the free samples of artisanal nut butters, flavored olive oils, and pickle salsa is incredible.

7. The Lighthouse

THE END. (Of Long Island)