The Reasons Why I Love K-Pop (And Why The Stigmas Need To Go)

Stigma by V (BTS) can stay, though. That's a bop.

3155
Meghan Wilkins

On Friday, June 23rd, I went to KCON NY. This convention - sponsored by Toyota, MNET, and a few other big names - brings some of the hottest k-pop artists to the US for opportunities that neither fans nor the artists may obtain otherwise.

I was one of those fans who won the chance of a lifetime with one of my favorite artists, KNK (Keunakeun/크나큰). By the the end of the day, I had won signed front row tickets to the night’s concert, high-fived all of the members of the group at least twice (even hugging my favorite member, Inseong, once), and got a solo photo op with them!

...at this point, I know many people are wondering why this encounter is even worth speaking of, so I’ll ask you this-- how would you feel if I replaced KNK with One Direction? Beyoncé? Fall Out Boy? Nicki Minaj? Ed Sheeran? You could insert any of your favorite English-speaking artists here and it’d still prove my point. If they were your favorite artist, you’d be losing your mind over an encounter like that. Yet many k-pop fans still find themselves being shamed for loving k-pop.

Whenever I tell people ‘I only really listen to k-pop’, the first question I’m asked is ‘why?’

• Why do I listen to music I can’t understand?

That’s like asking someone who listens to classical music ‘why bother listening if there’s nothing to sing along to?’. There’s SO MUCH more to music than just lyrics; and while, yes, good lyrical content can make or break songs (I’ve deleted k-pop songs from my playlists after reading how childish the lyrics are, by the way), there’s so much more that makes a song what it is. Everything ranging from chordal progressions to tonal inflections can make or break a song. The way the instrument (or vocals) are mixed can even impact the meaning of the song. Take off your blinders and look past the language barrier-- there’s so much more that’s beneath the surface.

• Why not listen to music that’s more relevant?

If any of you watched the Billboard Music Awards this year, then you’d know that BTS, a K-POP group, beat everyone else in the social category by an incomparable landslide. If k-pop was not relevant outside of Korea, then how else could they have won that award, hm?

• Why is regular music not good enough for you?

My appreciation for k-pop does not imply that everything else is beneath my standards. That’s not the case at all. Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding, Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, Major Lazer, Childish Gambino, and so many more English-speaking artists have my respect, love, and parts of my previous paychecks in support of their music.

For me, what sets k-pop apart is the interactive aspect, especially after my KCON experience. These artists’ lives are built around their fans, and no matter the size of their fanbase, their appreciation is evident in every glance they share or every tweet they like. Yes, I’m aware that English-speaking artists do the same. However, I’d suggest looking up the kinds of processes idols have to go through before receiving opportunities like this-- it’s so much more than luck and a recording deal. They fight so hard for the chance to perform and see their fans, and in every single interaction there is no question about it. They love us. We’re the motivation that keeps them going, and vice versa. It’s something that can only truly be understood from a k-pop stan’s perspective once you start reading into it.

• Why do you support an industry that doesn’t care about you or supports negative ideals?

My appreciation for k-pop does not imply that I endorse everything that South Korea embraces. For example, I hate the grueling process to debut. Many artists can train for upwards of 10 years and their company still won’t give them the chance to debut. In this season of Produce 101 (a competition to build a boy group), there were initial rumors that the lowest ranked trainees got fed leftovers and scraps and the worst sleeping conditions as ‘punishment’ for their low rank and ‘motivation’ to climb higher. These things are inhumane, and I don’t endorse it.

I also don't endorse the racial aspect. Korean fansites (the equivalent of American paparazzi) are known for whitewashing pictures of the artists to fit the Korean beauty standard. Some artists themselves - who I no longer stan - have been caught saying things offensive to those with darker skin.

However, there is movement in a more positive direction. Alex of RaNiA is the first African-American to debut in a k-pop group, and her reception so far has been relatively good! More fans are speaking out against artists whenever they say or do culturally insensitive things, and awareness is starting to grow. My expectations aren’t unrealistic, but the fact that fans aren’t blind to the injustice of it does give me hope and does make me feel comfortable supporting the artists that also do not endorse those ideals.

• Why be associated with fans that crazy?

This question usually refers to the crazy stories of fans going too far. K-pop idols have had to face stalkers, gropers, and haters. However, what artist hasn’t?

Again, it’s about the music. I feel the meaning of the music through the song, and I feel the true love and passion that they put in through the final product of all their hard work. I already felt that way to begin with, but after seeing all of my favorite artists at KCON this weekend, that feeling is strengthened. Not once did I look at any of my idols and see anything that wasn’t love reflected in their eyes. Not from a crazy, stalker fan perspective, but from the perspective of a fan who really just wants my idols to be happy. They work so hard for the chance, and I am honored to be a part of their story.

Being able to see these artists live having the time of their lives changed something in me. I’m no longer shy about admitting I like k-pop. I’m proud of my favorite artists and will never again let myself feel ashamed when being asked about them.

We all have our favorite artists, and many of them aren’t even American. Why does that have to stop us from listening?

(P.S...watch KNK’s debut MV, Knock, on their official YouTube channel. Stan talent, stan KNK. You won’t ever regret it!!!)