5 Reasons I'd Rather Be In Greece Than Anywhere Right Now

5 Reasons I'd Rather Be In My Mother's Homeland Of Greece Than Anywhere In The World Right Now

If the world is really ending, I might as well be there.

527

With coronavirus canceling many greatly anticipated summer plans, it's extremely upsetting to think about the places I could be right now under normal circumstances. Although I had no plans to actually go to Greece this summer, being there is something that always crosses my mind during the summer months.

This is especially true now, as I am stuck in the house and left to my own thoughts. Going through old pictures has been a common pastime in hopes of lessening my boredom.

These circumstances combined encouraged me to reflect on the main reasons I'd rather be in my mom's home country.

After all, who wouldn't want to be in Greece right now?

My family

Eleni Tsaras

This is probably the biggest and most obvious reason. My mom came to the United States when she was 23 from Greece. All of her side of the family still lives in Greece.

Although we keep in touch through technology like Facebook Messenger, it's not the same. I've never actually spent any major holidays with my family on my mother's side because we are only ever able to visit in the summer.

I would love to be able to spend a few years with them and make memories!

My faith

Eleni Tsaras

There is something extremely special about sharing your faith with so many people. Most of the Greek population practices Greek Orthodoxy.

It's really cool to see Greek churches on every street.

There are so many beautiful churches to see no matter where you are in Greece. I'll never get tired of visiting different churches.

The history

Eleni Tsaras

This is pretty obvious, but the rich history in Greece isn't something to dismiss. There is something almost magical about being around so much history.

I'll admit, as a kid, I took trips to Greece for granted. It was something we did every few years.

Now that I'm older, my visits never cease to amaze me. Learning about all the history and seeing historical sites firsthand is an indescribable feeling.

The food

Eleni Tsaras

It is no secret that Greek food is absolutely amazing and something that Greece is known for. There are many Greek and Mediterranean restaurants in the United States.

However, when you're actually in Greece, it hits different. Everything is extremely fresh.

It's not as common to see processed food there. It makes a huge difference, so much so that no matter how much we eat when we're there, we always seem to lose weight.

Of course, we are walking a lot more. Still, I think it's safe to say that we don't watch what we're eating. :)

The culture

Eleni Tsaras

There are so many little cultural differences that I often find myself missing. I love that the cities in Greece are made for walking (as compared to Oklahoma).

In Greece, it is very common to not have a car because public transportation is very widespread and reliable.

Public transportation was also something that I enjoyed when I was a kid. Another small thing I always appreciated was the fact that people in Greece don't grocery shop like we do in America.

Rather than going grocery shopping for the week, people often shop for the ingredients they need for that day.

My grandfather would also go and buy fresh bread from the bakery every morning.