10 Reasons To Drink More Wine This Holiday Season

I look forward to the holidays and sharing that “wine drunk” with my younger sisters

71
Unsplash

The holiday season is filled with multiple parties, gift exchanges, and getting the opportunity to spend time with friends and family that you don’t always see that often. Sometimes these interactions can be assisted by a nice glass of wine to top off the enormous amounts of ham, turkey, and pie that you consume. If your family is anything like mine, adding some wine to the games that follow after dinner only makes annoying Aunt Carol that much more funny and tolerable. So here are 10 reasons why you should drink more wine during all of those holiday festivities.

1. It’s healthy

According to the American Heart Association, red wine can help prevent heart disease. Each bottle of red wine contains antioxidants such as flavonoids and polyphenols that are found in the grapes used to produce the wine. These phytochemicals naturally assist in reducing your risk for heart disease as a natural source. Of course this is only when drank in moderation. So consuming an entire bottle of wine in one night will only give you a hangover, not prevention to cancer.

2. It’s Affordable

Wine is no longer for the rich and famous in another tax bracket. More and more vineyards are jumping on the millennial wagon and creating affordable wine. There are a large variety of wines that taste similar to the high end priced bottles that will cost you less than $30. My personal go-to budget wine varies between $25-$30. If that is still a little high for you, I have seen several companies selling bottles for $5 that taste pretty good. Everybody can enjoy the life of drinking wine at that price point!

3. You Look Classier

Nobody has ever said, “You look so classy holding that Busch beer.” Drinking a glass of wine gives you a sense of sophistication. You can indulge and continue to look like royalty. You also have your choice from several different types of wine glasses as well. So whether you enjoy red, white, or rose, there is a glass for every situation.

4. Wine Drunk Is A Better Kind Of Drunk

Drinking wine makes for a happy drunk. Because wine has higher alcohol content than beer, it does not often make people angry the way that liquor does. Drinking wine with your friends brings you closer over laughable moments, as you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It also has less sugar than mixed drinks, which means fewer calories as well. So while you’re skipping the beer and soda, you’re also skipping out on the carbonation that causes bloating and discomfort. This leaves more room for all that turkey and pumpkin pie you will inevitably consume.

5. Trips To The Vinery

Can you say free wine samples? You have not lived until you have spent a sunny Saturday at a winery. Not all places let you sample for free, but many do. Most wineries will allow you to explore the grounds or even give you a tour while you’re sipping on your wine. It can be a blast getting a group of friends together and spending a beautiful day enjoying a local wine. Not only are you getting your dose of fruit, but you’re also supporting your community by purchasing local wine. If you have a large group for an event such as a bachelorette party, rent a party bus and hit up multiple wineries throughout the day. I promise it will be a day to remember. Or it won’t be if you really get into the spirit.

6. It Compliments Your Meals

Chocolate and Cabernet, seafood and Chardonnay, or a thick steak and a pinot noir, wine is a great asset to any course. It compliments the favors of your meal and allows you to enjoy the rich flavors and seasoning on your plate. I will never say no to a piece of chocolate cake and a large bottle, uhh…I mean, glass of red wine.

7. The more you drink, the more crafts you can make

There are so many things you can make with a wine bottle these days; you’re basically getting a two for one every time you down a bottle. Whether you want to make a lamp or a beverage glass, your options are endless. Throw in the things you can make with the corks, as well, and drinking wine becomes an investment. I personally have three or four wine bottles around my house that are now serving as vases and I made the corks into some adorable coasters.

8. An Icebreaker

Humans are social beings and we need to interact with other humans, which can be awkward and uncomfortable with the family members you see once a year. Insert wine and those awkward silent moments and staring at your phone as if you are texting someone, all disappears. Wine allows you to loosen up and be more comfortable when you are trying to get past the small talk of life. If you ask my friends, they will tell you it often makes people giggly. Maybe that’s just me.

9. It’s A Bonding Experience

Nights in with friends are always filled with bottles of wine and lots of discussion. So it’s no surprise that opening a bottle with siblings is that much more of an experience. I look forward to the holidays and sharing that “wine drunk” with my younger sisters. We have real discussions about life and laugh until someone falls out of their chair, which is almost always the middle sister.

10. It’s Perfect For All Occasions!

Whether you have had a great day at the office or a terrible day where you pictured yourself burning down your boss’ office, wine is there for you. It allows you to relax and wine down (pun intended) after a long day. It also allows you to celebrate for multiple occasions. I have never been to an adult celebration that did not involve wine. The holidays are here and in full force. I hope your love for wine is ready!