Reasons Why Briar Cliff is Actually Pawnee, Indiana

What we lack in material possessions we make up for with heart, character, and genuine people.

93
Briar Cliff University

The residents of Pawnee know that they may not have the fanciest things, or even stuff from this century. However, that does not stop them from loving their home wholeheartedly. Any Charger will tell you that they did not choose Briar Cliff for its state-of-the-art workout facilities or brand new residence halls. But what we lack in material possessions we make up for with heart, character, and genuine people.

Here are 4 reasons why Briar Cliff is actually Pawnee, Indiana:

REASON 1: We have our own real-life Leslie Knopes.

It seems that every class has their very own Leslie Knope. You know the one. The campus sweetheart that everyone seems to know and love. This superstar is involved in roughly one million campus activities but still manages to be one of the most genuine and approachable people you will ever meet. The Angela Kaisers, Emma Brunses, and Megan Glovers who are always excited to help with any new project.

Not to mention that Bev Wharton, who recently ended her fifteen year career as university president and the head Leslie Knope, managed to run the entire institution and make it to almost every single campus event or activity.

These ladies have a pep in their step, a mission on their mind, and about 12 projects due by midnight.

REASON 2: Just about every male you meet is Andy Dwyer.

This is not necessarily unique to the Cliff. For some reason, every male aged 18-22 bears a strong resemblance Pawnee's most lovable idiot. Don't let their adult bodies fool you, they are operating at the intellectual level of a fifth grader.

College guys are broke, hilarious, and legitimately up for anything. In the past year, I have seen boys scale a two story building to avoid losing a game, repeatedly tear down a metal and cement employee parking sign to deal with a parking space shortage, and secretly memorize1D's Four album in its entirety then repeatedly deny it in front of his friends.

REASON 3: We might as well have a raccoon infestation.

Being one of the few Franciscan campuses in the nation, Briar Cliff serves as a beacon for all types of campus critters. From the cats in the bushes outside of Alverno, to the deer that call hole number three of the frisbee golf course home, to random friendly pigeons, all of God's creatures are cared for on our unique campus.

REASON 4: We have our very own Eagleton.

Our cross-town rivals, Morningside College.

To outsiders, Briar Cliff and Morningside could be seen as interchangeable. Both colleges are small liberal arts schools located in the same geographical region, but the similarities start and end there.

Sure… Morningside might have a football team with a “winning record.” Okay, and maybe they have “dorms that have been updated since your parents attended college.”

BUT will those snooty Eagleton-ians ever understand the fun of having a dance party with your friends in the dark after hour seven of the power outage? Or going to dinner with your roommates at 6:00 and staying and messing around until the Fire Pit opens at 8:00, because who doesn’t love fourth meal? I sincerely doubt it.

And that is why we love Briar Cliff; it may not be fancy, but its atmosphere of genuine love and happiness make it totally remarkable.