8 Times I Realized Colorado Is The Best State But Only After I Left It

300 days of sunshine is no joke.

1418
Author's photo

Ah, my blessed Colorado. Yes, Colorado will always hold a special place in my heart. Since moving away these are some things I realized that I took for granted while I was there.

1. The air is clean af.

I know this sounds dumb but moving away from Colorado made me see how clean the air is there, like whoa. It's actually a pretty clean state.

2. You could literally do anything outdoors.

I didn't realize how Colorado really has every outdoor activity you could think of, ALL in your backyard. Skiing, biking, climbing, hiking- YOU NAME IT.

3. It's a cool state.

Something I realized moving away-people don't really leave Colorado because they don't like it. They leave for opportunities that aren't offered there, or family, or some reason that takes them away from Colorado, versus actively trying to get away from Colorado.

4. THE VIEWS

I knew while living there that the views were beautiful, but now that I don't see them every day I realize they were straight up GOREGOUS. I now see them in pictures and think it's some type of fantasy.

5. People are nice.

I must say- some people can be crabby and nasty in Colorado, but the majority are nice and polite because of the quality of the life there is so good.

6. Material possessions don't matter there.

Yeah sure maybe you want to show off your Patagonia jacket or Sorel boots, but that's the most material thing I remember about Colorado. I didn't even know half the designer brands I do now since I moved to New York City. It's just not a focus on the culture there.

7. 300 days of sunshine is no joke.

Growing up in Colorado I just figures it was the natural way of things that when it was the middle of the day, the sun would always be shining. I just thought that was the PHYSICS of life anywhere. Soon after moving and seeing that some days the sun wouldn't shine at all made me realize why they really advertise the 300 days of sunshine thing in Colorado.

8. Any sense of direction is lost without the mountains.

Here I figured I had a pretty good sense of direction- but I actually owe it all to the mountains. Without seeing the mountains how does one even be able to understand any sense of direction.