Real Talk From One Jobless Junior To Another

On maintaining hope while waiting for that internship offer

140
Psychology Today

Anxiety comes in many forms when its summer and most of the people you call friends are halfway across the world indulging in gelato in Paris, partying it up in Singapore or preparing for an internship at a Forbes 100 company while you sit at home alone.

For the longest time, my idea of a perfect summer is exactly the limbo I’m stuck in now because the green is always greener on the other side. I used to love the idea of doing absolutely nothing. And I still do. But when that’s the only thing you do in between sleeping until noon and spontaneously taking yourself shopping at Melrose, the amount of time you are stuck with is overwhelming.

So lately, anxiety has been visiting more than she usually does. Not necessarily in a crippling way, but definitely in a way that has gotten me thinking about my future while munching on Smartfood’s white cheddar popcorn and Trader Joe’s raspberry and cream bars (which are by the way so so good). I mean in a blink of an eye three years has passed and I’m a rising senior.

To add on to that, I’m an international student who has dreams of staying in Los Angeles at least for a year or two against the current political landscape that is tightening its reins on its immigration policies. So sitting here this summer without an internship yet seem to point even more to the fact that unemployment will be a real issue after graduation.

And really, its not about finding an internship. Any internship. Its about finding one that ignites passion in you, and that you’re willing to devote all of your time to. To me, chaining yourself to a 9 to 5 job, even if it gives you 200K a year, is not worth having because money can never replace passion and your will to impact somebody out there. This applies to taking any internship that comes your way too. Just because you’re desperate doesn’t mean that you have to take what is right in front of you, especially if you think you’re not going to grow from that experience.

What you should be looking for now is an experience that will change your perspective on things, make you smile with every day and inspire you going forward. Maybe this is cliché and obviously easier said than done, but this mindset builds character and gives you a little more to live for each day.

So to anybody out there who is still searching for an internship, or a job for that matter- cheers.

Here’s to more customized cover letters, reading and re-reading your application, checking your inbox every hour, and to getting one step closer to your dream job. Keep yourself occupied, grateful and hopeful by just persisting. And not just persisting blindly, but with setting yourself a goal and working towards it by keeping at it with your applications. Try 10, try 50 or 100 applications if 1 doesn’t work. Compile an excel and motivate yourself by highlighting job recruiters who reached out to you to get to know you better, even if you didn’t end up with the job. You’ll find that with every application, you’re a better advocate and proponent for yourself. So appreciate the learning process and keep at it with your applications.

One day, you’ll find yourself rewarded with an offer you’re absolutely excited about.