the story of a real life troy bolton
Education

Story of a Real Life Troy Bolton

Yes, I did just call myself that.

760
Story of a Real Life Troy Bolton
Jim Balderston and Helen Hummer

I haven't been called the doppelgänger of the High School Musical character since high school, but I heard the name so often that what I considered to be a compliment, sticks with me to this day.

As a freshman in college, I look back at my high school years and think about how I somehow managed both the athletic and theatrical atmospheres. Being an athlete for four years and an actor for three, not many people can say they got to accomplish what I did in two drastically different "cliques" if you will. I am extremely grateful for the people, administration, and organization at Shrewsbury High School who let me be who I wanted to be.

When High School Musical was first released in 2006, many people had thought it was outrageous for a student to participate in both theaters and sports. I had started acting when I was 6 years old, and I had started playing baseball when I was 2. My sisters were the ones who inspired me to start acting, after seeing them perform in shows, I knew that was something I wanted to try. I had no idea that it was going to lead me to 12 years of something that I absolutely love.

Baseball, however, has always been the priority. Nothing can rival baseball's spot in my heart. It is the one thing that I can count on to be there when I have a rough day. It is consistently the one thing that I feel deep down in my soul I am meant to do. Others, however, find a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I did something so drastically different from what I was known for. I was always known as a baseball player. People had always questioned me saying, "Aren't you worried that theater will get in the way of you wanting to play college ball?" No, because I had the strongest support system in the world in my family. No matter what I did, or chose to do, they supported me every step of the way.

Some of my friends told me that if they did theater, they wouldn't be able to fathom what their father would say to them. "Sports and theater kids didn't mix when I was in high school." was something a good friend of mines father said straight to my face. What he didn't seem to understand is that high school is a lot different since he was there. Things have changed. I was even called a trailblazer by one of my high school principals. However, there were other kids who did it too, I wasn't the only one.

Alex Purple was a teammate of mine when I played soccer, who committed to musical while he was in the middle of ski season. I don't know how that kid did it honestly. He would come into rehearsal late with his ski race stuff still on and still be one of the most focused kids at rehearsal. When I would talk to him on one of those days, I could tell how tired he was, and I understood. Anytime we would take 5 he would take that 5 and power nap on the stage floor. Being a student-athlete is draining, let alone being a student-athlete who also had to go to a 4-hour rehearsal after a race. I always admired him for that because there was no way I could have done that during baseball season. So Purple, thanks for always being an inspiration to me.

I was fortunate enough to have spring musical to put on its shows right before baseball tryouts took place. Usually, we had a week in between, but my senior year, our shows ran March 16th, 17th, and 18th, and tryouts were the 20th. You put so much work into both of these passions that it all seemed to blur together. Waking up at 5 am to go to baseball lifts, then school from 7 to 2, maybe rehearsal at 2 to 5 then maybe if you're lucky you get to go to the cages and get swings and then it's time for your homework. It seems like you don't even have time to breathe sometimes. There would be days I didn't even go home until 10 pm. You go to captains practice right after school then have to grab some chipotle or something before rehearsal at 6 then you get out at 9:15 and you're just absolutely beat. I tried to savor every moment my senior year, even the ones where we would get ripped apart after a dance number because I knew I was never going step foot on a stage with that family again.

It's a very stressful process. Everyone's on edge, but double it when you've got to balance learning your lines and choreography and make sure to fit a bullpen in sometime during the week. In the end, though, it is worth every last drop of energy that you put into it.

Now, we all know that a lot of people in high school participate in multiple extracurriculars and are stressed and tired. So you may not be seeing the point of this article. Why is this student different? What does his story say?

In January of 2018, Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski took his own life. I had never watched him play a down of football, but my heart instantly was struck by this terrible news. Student-athletes are under so much pressure and stress that it is hard to keep mental health in check.

My story is a little different.

I have shared my story with a handful of people, but feel confident enough to attempt to share it with even more.

In middle school, I was bullied constantly. Most of it was because of the fact that I participated in activities like musicals and plays. It was a very tough time for me as an individual. I had friends, but there was a very small amount of them who understood what I was really going through.

I never got close enough to those friends, however, to tell them what my true feelings were. It got to a point where I didn't want to take the bullying anymore.

It got to a point where I thought about taking my own life.

I have never said that sentence before. I have always avoided being so direct like that. To be honest with you it's relieving to see those words written like that.

Fortunately, I was able to find ways to convince myself that the harsh words and actions of my former classmates were worth brushing off my shoulder. The people who I have shared my story with have all said the same thing; "I would have never expected that from you, Kevin." And I understand completely.

When people meet me, they usually see what everyone sees, energetic, confident kid, who likes to crack jokes, smile a lot and can be a little overwhelming. Pretty much me.

That is why it is so important for people to reach out if they have any thoughts like I did. It doesn't have to be to a doctor, it could be your best friend. I found support in some people that, unfortunately, I don't keep in touch with anymore. But they will always be important to me for that reason.

My message isn't even strictly about student-athletes, it's for anyone who struggles with their own issues. A friend of mine once told me that they gave up their dream of playing a college sport because the stress from their parents was too much. Being pushed too hard like that can take a toll on someone.

We all weren't meant to be the hockey players from Miracle skating Again and Again and Again. That's ok, because we all have a purpose, and it doesn't have to be winning a 1980 Olympic Gold Medal.

Bullying is an important issue in our society right now. No one deserves to be put down because of something they do, where they come from, or because of a shirt that they wear. No one.

Depression comes in different forms, and it is one of the hardest things to overcome in life. A former classmate said that he didn't like the ending of Manchester by the Sea because the movie didn't resolve. Well because depression doesn't ever truly resolve. People try and say things like "just be happy" but those obviously do nothing to a person who's suffering from depression. It takes time to find ways that work for you. And everyone finds ways that work for them that may not work for the person next to you.

To the kids out there right now struggling with their own battles, I beg of you to at least attempt to tell someone what you are going through. I know it will be difficult, but we would rather have you speak up and still be alive, rather than you stay silent, and not be able to live out your dreams.