Difference Between High School And College

The REAL Difference Between High School And College

What I've learned while entering this "adulting" world.

32
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/students
Unsplah

So I was set out to enter college with the most optimistic view possible! And of course, I'm doing just fine! Now I was told my entire high school career how much different college was going to be, and of course, I believed it, but I wasn't entirely sure of what to believe. Well, I'm going to go ahead and tell you that college is, indeed, WAYYY different!

First things first to start off, all of the work! Now I have friends at other schools who have barely any work and I mean hey I guess if that's how you wanna roll go for it. Personally, as somebody who likes a challenge, a challenge is exactly what I've been given. It's not like the work itself is extremely difficult we aren't brained surgeons.

The one thing that I've always been good at is managing my time, being extremely involved during high school. Balancing clubs is one thing though and now I am being introduced to balancing my workload.

You know like read 40 pages on Monday and complete an online quiz after my first class, then before my third class makes sure you write the first half of that paper due Wednesday so you aren't overwhelmed Tuesday night! Stuff like that, easy work.

Okay here's the actual BEST part. I never EVER EVER imagined myself saying this. And to all my high school friends you may not think so either until you get to college. But I can now confidently say that I LOVE Mondays, and HATE Fridays.

And that is all due to my schedule. You see Monday I literally have one 50 minute class at 8:00 a.m. so by 9:00 a.m. you better bet I'm back asleep in my bed (as all of us sane people would be.)

Friday exact same thing, same class same time, however, I am blessed with the luxury of having a three....hour.....science....lab.

I kinda did it to myself I mean my major is biology and I really don't mind science anymore. WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY NEXT HUGE DIFFERENCE.

If we are all being honest here I like to say that I didn't even take science in high school except for my senior year when I took Anatomy & Physiology.

Bless my teacher never thought I'd say that.

But, if we are all going, to tell the truth here my high school science teachers were just... not there, education skills wise. Yes, I took a science class every year of high school, and barely know anything about any of them except for anatomy.

However as soon as I walked into my college biology class and heard the first few words come out of my professor's mouth about cells and molecular compounds, she had a way of explaining it to an understanding I've never even understood before until now.

If you were to even SAY the word chemistry to me my junior year I would take off sprinting in the other direction!

But no need to fret to all of my high schoolers who are relating so hard right now because I promise you, it is 100% different in every way shape and form.

I think a nice way to kind of sort of end this article brings up the things I've learned since I've been here and also discuss some mistakes. First off I am so amazingly proud of how good I am at getting my laundry done now because this time last month I had never even touched a washing machine! The sink in my apartment is usually empty with not a dish in sight and we are actually maintaining a healthy diet and workouts, my roommate and I.

But here's where it gets so funny, kind of sort of. (Let us skip me missing my English class the first week.)

I am going to save the whole story for an entirely different article but long story short, I had a slight caffeine overdose due to free samples at Starbucks at 10:30 p.m. If you follow my blogs regularly you know that I could not turn that down.

Slept two hours, got a very interesting Instagram live video out of it and I think my followers were quite entertained once everybody woke up for the day and saw what I was up to at 5 a.m.

WELLL there you have it! I am just trying to live my best life out here at the College of Charleston and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself right now! I and my roommate get along just fine and I am completely on top of my school work while still trying to have a little fun. (Please steer clear of Starbucks homemade testers though.)

To everybody else just starting out their freshman year, good luck, study hard, don't flunk, there will always be more parties but you only get to take the test once!