Reading on a Budget

Reading On A Budget

Need to stop binge buying books? Here are a few free or cheap options that might help you stay on your budget.

86
Reading On A Budget

If you're anything like me, you're constantly on the hunt for the next great read. But that can be difficult when you're a broke college kid. Luckily, with the new age of technology, there are a few free and cheap ways to read all the hottest titles.

Overdrive/Libby

Overdrive is an app that connects to your library and allows you to borrow content electronically. Signing up is free with your library card and you're instantly granted access to thousands of e-books and audiobooks. It works entirely like your physical library. The selection of books is limited to your library, and you might have to wait on a waiting list if a book you want is currently checked out. Libby is a sister app to Overdrive, it's essentially the same thing but with an easier interface to navigate (not to mention it's aesthetically pleasing). 5/5 stars from me!

Hoopla

Hoopla is another library-based service that allows you to borrow a certain number of books a month. It's completely free if your library offers it! What I love about Hoopla is that it offers so many e-books and audiobooks, but also tons of comics! They always have new release comics and graphic novels. I personally use Hoopla every month and have a bunch of titles saved! 4/5

Scribd

Scribd is a monthly subscription service for $8.99 a month. They have a large array of titles, however, if you're an audiobook lover like I am they only let you listen to about 3 audiobooks a month before they restrict "popular" titles for the next month. The e-books are unlimited and offer new release titles. Honestly, it all comes down to the kind of reader you are. Audiobooks are a big way I get most of my reading done, so it's kind of a bummer. 3/5

Kindle Unlimited

Kindle Unlimited is also a subscription service for $9.99 a month! You can borrow up to 10 titles at a time and they offer new releases and best sellers! You don't need a kindle either, just download the app and you can browse on various different devices. I use Kindle Unlimited to find some really good gems I wouldn't otherwise read. 4/5

I definetly recommend trying these options out but if they don't work out, don't forget to support your local library!