The Value Of Reading And Why We Need It Now More Than Ever

With the advent of the radio, TV, and the internet, we have stopped reading as much.

8
brainscape.com

I have never been an avid reader, but I have certainly always enjoyed a good book. As I have gotten older however, I have begun to read more frequently. There is something to be said for sitting in a quiet room and falling into a story. The simple action of opening the cover of a book can transport you to a new world, where you don't have to be you for a while. A chance to leave reality behind is often within arms reach, and many people have seemed to have forgotten that. Everyone needs to leave reality for a moment or two, if only to maintain sanity.

There are countless proven advantages to reading: improved vocabulary and writing, improved cognition, lower stress, etc. Beyond all of these though, reading is just plain good for you. It is helpful to get away from life for a little while everyday and enjoy the stories of someone else. When you are reading, it is someone else speaking directly to you in your mind, without the ability for discussion. You just get to absorb another's thoughts, words etc. You don't always have to agree, but as you are reading, you are listening and feeling what someone else is feeling, and that is pretty remarkable.

Reading unconsciously makes you smarter, and more empathetic. It allows you to understand other people's perspectives and ideas. It allows you to learn about a broad range of topics without ever having to learn in a traditional way. The simple action of reading allows you to grow in ways you won't even realize. When I look at friends of mine who are avid readers, they are excellent conversationalists because they have read so extensively. I admire that, and it encourages me to read even more than I already do.

Unfortunately though, with technology constantly surrounding us, and it is difficult to get away from TV, music, and videos long enough to pick up a good book. Technology can be great, and there is plenty that we can learn from through using it, but we cannot forget about just plain reading. Somewhere along the way as radios, TV, and the internet have taken hold, we have lost the incredible culture of reading.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2F01%2F636029864828375314600931052_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=79&h=5e861f99ab38351d230c58a1c4396dc1ed9fb564a1fb5f73a515c1236c97c66b&size=980x&c=4122366594 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F07%252F01%252F636029864828375314600931052_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D79%26h%3D5e861f99ab38351d230c58a1c4396dc1ed9fb564a1fb5f73a515c1236c97c66b%26size%3D980x%26c%3D4122366594%22%7D" expand=1]

It is rare nowadays to see a kid reading a book that isn't assigned to them. I find that sad. Sometimes I feel like I am standing still watching as our world falls deeper into Fahrenheit 51.

It is important for us to understand that while technology is great, books are still wonderful. There is a real person behind them putting their heart and soul into the words they are writing. This is a really beautiful concept that we cannot loose. That said, I think I'll go read a book.