E-Readers Vs. Hard Copies

E-Readers Vs. Hard Copies

Which way do you read?

14
E-Readers Vs. Hard Copies

Reading can be beneficial in more ways than one: stimulating the mind, reducing stress, expanding vocabularies, acquiring knowledge, just to name a few. Unfortunately, reading has become a dying hobby with the uprise of television, media, and other forms of distraction from boredom. In this age of entertainment, I've found that in my circle that few still resort to a good old fashioned read, something I find myself guilty of as well. With so much access to books, whether through an E-reader or a hard copy, it's a wonder that more people don't have their faces in a good book more often.

Some would argue that there’s nothing better than actually flipping the pages of a book, while others would argue that in the 21st century, E-readers are all the rage, allowing for one to keep millions of books right at their fingertips. There’s nothing really wrong with either way of reading, but there are certainly both pros and cons to each. Does it really matter? No, the words should still be the same regardless of the method. But, for those who prefer one to the other, this could open your eyes to more than just the words on the page, and you could possibly end up preferring a different method of reading that you hadn't considered.

For those who favor E-readers such as Kindles and iPads, it could be said that we have fallen prey to a generation that is consumed, nay, enslaved by the digital age. The inability for this generation to withstand one aspect of their lives being not digital can drive some mad. This is not the case for all, however, and it is not fair to say that those who enjoy E-readers are obsessed with electronics. E-readers allow for millions of books to be downloaded and carried around with easy access. This can be helpful for those who need to carry with them a plethora of reading materials, but don’t have the space. It is understandable that one cannot often carry with them books upon books, so if that’s the case for you, an E-reader is probably the best option.

The old-fashioned way, is often preferred by those who want the "full experience" of reading. Holding a flimsy book with the pages roughed around the edges gives it character, and helps you remember where it came from. These books can have inscriptions, highlights, and little touches like a dog-tag on page 142 for a quote you needed to remember for another time. Arguably, this is the way books are intended to be read. However, the bulk of a novel can seem unappealing in a generation where thinner seems to mean better. Despite the space they take up, there is something oddly fascinating about a wall lined with bookshelves upon bookshelves, with words all pushed in a line just waiting to be read. Libraries are sources of entertainment in and of themselves, as one can spend hours searching for just the right read.

Whatever you choose to read on, read on. There is power in words, and there is power in print. Whether you choose an E-reader, a hard copy, or both, as long as you're reading, it's all good. After all, "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives one." - George RR Martin

So, which way do you read?