Reaction To The Winds Of Winter

Reaction To The Winds Of Winter

The Game of Thrones season 6 finale almost killed me.

3
Reaction To The Winds Of Winter
watchersonthewall

WARNING: IF YOU WATCH GAME OF THRONES, THERE ARE MANY SPOILERS IN THIS ARTICLE

This Sunday was the 6th season finale of Game of Thrones. I have loved this series for a long time, not only because of the show but the books as well. The characters, action sequences, and of course plot structure are what I truly love about the world George R. R. Martin has created (with a huge bias toward the characters). It is my opinion that the last two episodes of this season truly capture what this world is like. It is dramatic, beautiful, savage, painful… It’s similar to real life because of all the twists and turns it has.

I have a lot to say about “A Song of Ice and Fire”, which is the real name of what is now called “Game of Thrones”, but I would like to share some thoughts I had regarding the last episode.

LAST WARNING… SPOILERS LIE BELOW

First of all, I knew that it was about to get real when Maester Pycelle was brutally murdered by those children. What a way to go. I couldn’t believe how brutal the episode had become in the first 20 minutes, and I was excited for what was to come next. I believe that he had that death coming. Also, when the High Sparrow’s right-hand disciple appeared in the tunnel, I began to wonder if it had anything to do with Bran’s vision in a previous episode (which, as we learn, did indeed).

As Margaery frantically tried to get people to leave the trial I could only squirm as I waited for what was coming. The wildfire’s destruction was epic in my personal opinion, and I think the lack of music during this scene added to the intensity.

But this makes me wonder about Bran and his abilities now. We realize that he can affect the past after what happened with Hodor (…ugh), so does that mean he can affect the future as well? Can he at least see it?? What if he gets captured and forced to do it for horrible people???

…yep. This is how my brain works.

Moving on.

When I saw the servant girl eyeing up Jamie Lannister, I naturally didn’t think much of it. When she appeared alone in front of Walter Frey and giddily said “They’re here, m’lord”, I thought she was working for Jamie. But when it turned out to be Arya I started crying because I was so happy. That revenge was amazingly sweet and unexpected and, in my opinion, perfect for Arya.

The fact that she has mastered the arts of the Many Faced God worries me however. Yes, she could be one BA assassin, but does this mean that people are going to be on the hunt for her? Will she constantly be on the fun for the rest of her life? I worry about these things, but then again, if she has to be murdered I’m glad that she will go down fighting.

How about Tommen’s suicide?

I knew it was coming as he stared out the window a little too long, but it still hurt. Maybe I’m overly sensitive, but I could feel Cersei’s pain. We should’ve known that this was coming, however, because of the witch’s prophecy.

If you don’t remember, when Cersei was a small girl she and a friend asked questions of a fortuneteller named Maggy the Frog. She predicted, “Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear… Gold shall be [your children’s] crowns and gold their shrouds. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you”.

The death of her children and the fall of her reign was right in front of us, we just seemed to forget.

(P.S- “Valonqar” means little brother... which is pretty interesting…)

Finally, let’s talk about Jon.

WHERE IN THE WORLD DID THAT TWIST COME FROM?!

I couldn’t hold still I was freaking out so much. My roommate actually said “Next time we watch this I am buying you a straight-jacket” because of how excited I was.

So Jon Snow has dragon-blood running through his veins. He is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen, which means he is the nephew of my favorite character- Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons (I had to).

There is a theory going around that his name is actually Jaehaerys, which stems from a line of Targaryen kings who were great rulers. This was also the name of the last ruler to defeat the White Walkers.

...Coincidence? I guess we'll find out.

Daenerys is on her way to Westeros in order to make allies and take back her rightful throne. She has made it clear that marriage is part of her plan, and we have to wonder- who does she have in mind? Is Tyrion advising a certain person? Or he is a possible match?

But then, what if she married Jon? The Targaryen’s are known for their tendency to inbreed, but also, who could possibly know that they are related besides Bran?

So many questions. So much time until season 7. So much frustration.