My Reaction to the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Have you ever read a book that touched your soul?
286

Have you ever read a book in which you felt deeply in your soul? A book in which a character is remarkably like you and you wonder, "Has the author written about me?" That is how I felt when I read the book, "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio.

I heard about this book last year when my best friend was teaching middle school. She told me about it and she wanted my input. If you know me, you would know that I have a mile high book list. So, I did not read until Thanksgiving Break, when I went to another friend's home and I saw it on the tabletop of her sister's. By this time, the movie for Wonder had also released and one of my new favorite actors, Daveed Diggs (Hamilton fans, where you at?!), was playing in it. I had and still have full intentions of seeing the movie but I wanted to read the book first so I have a comparison in mind.

I started reading it that night but I fell asleep due to tiredness, not because it was boring. It was the next day when I continued reading the book. In case you did not know, the book is about a young child, Auggie, who is starting fifth grade at Beecher Prep. All his life he was homeschooled because he was "different" from the other children due to a facial deformity.

Now, if you know me, I have one too. Like Auggie, I have a hearing aid. Like Auggie, I was bullied and teased. Now, unlike Auggie, I haven't been sent death threats. But, I've been the victim of "The Plague," asking my mom and God why I wasn't born normal. Luckily, like Auggie, I have an amazing set of parents who've always advocated for me and have supported me. They've taught me to stand up to others. My mom, especially, has taught me to be kind, compassionate, and have empathy.

I have also had friends like Summer and Julian. For them, I am eternally grateful. I have also known many "Jack" types and I have realized that they are just a part of life.

Though, what I have always wondered is what it was like for other people to know me. What went through their minds? "Wonder" is not written through Auggie's perspective, solely. It has been written in the POVs of Summer, Liv (sis), Julian, as well as Jack.

There were moments in the book where I laughed, nearly cried, and felt angered FOR August, and I have also felt compassion towards August' sister and Julian. I have also felt a great dislike for Jack until I read his side of the story. It is then, that I felt sympathy and pity for the kid.

In short, I loved the book so much that I ordered my own copy of Wonder on Amazon. It is definitely a book that will stay with me for a very long time. It is definitely one of those books that touched the very depths of my soul.