Why Re-Connecting With Friends Is So Important, Especially Now

Don't loose sight on the friendships you once had.

23

You fly through your early educational years, finish high school, college goes by in a blink of an eye, and all during that time friends and friendships come and go. People that were your best friends in elementary school and during the start of middle school who probably impacted your life more than you realize, yet you don't even have their phone numbers anymore. Or maybe you had a group of friends in high school where everybody knew everybody, now none of you guys barely meet up anymore since you all moved away from your old town.

Why do we let those impactful connections fade away?

With the rise and obsession with social media, it lets people stay connected to those people they once knew. They get to see their life updates and celebrations all while not seeing or really communicating with that person. And most likely to them you are another "like" on a post.

That sense of being connected leads to actual loss of connection.

You will put less effort in going and re-connecting with someone if you base their lives off their Instagram or Facebook posts, thinking their life is so much more busy and filled with new friends it will deter you from reaching out. But the thing to remember most is that people only put online what you want to see.

While their life can look perfect and exciting, in reality they could be lonely and need a friend. So if one day you think of someone who you haven't thought of for a long time, reach out and see if they want to grab coffee and re-connect, because you could regret later on not reaching out.

Even if time goes by, years even, but when you see that person again it is like no time has passed, keep hold of those connections, because they can be rare. In your life, the weeks go by slow but the years fly by so don't miss out on seeing the people who used to bring you happiness in your life, no matter how long ago it was!