Ranking The Songs Of Taylor Swift's Folklore.

This girl never disappoints.

196

Taylor Swift released her 8th album last week, and the world changed for the better. I like doing my rankings, but my expertise on music stops at the playlists I make on here, so I figured I'd rank these songs in a different way. I like words more than the average person. Words are my jam, and lyrics that draw me in through storytelling and analogies are my favorite. All 16 of these songs are certified bops, and Miss Swift is an absolute genius, but I'm still going to be ranking them anyways, because I need something to do.

1. "The Last Great American Dynasty"

Best Lyric: "There goes the maddest woman this town had ever seen

She had a marvelous time ruining everything"

The whole song is one big story, and it makes me want to learn more. It also gives off mega Gatsby vibes.

2. "Mirrorball"

Best Lyric: "I can change everything about me to fit in

You are not like the regulars

The masquerade revelers

Drunk as they watch my shattered edges glisten"

Using the analogy of a mirrorball is super clever, and I think it's also relatable to people listening who are trying to fit in or appease those around them.

3. "Peace"

Best Lyric: "But there's robbers to the east, clowns to the west

I'd give you my sunshine, give you my best

But the rain is always gonna come if you're standin' with me"

Clowns to the west may be the most subtle dig of all time, and I am here for it.

4. "Hoax"

Best Lyric: "My only one

My kingdom come undone

My broken drum

You have beaten my heart"

There's just a lot of pretty words in this song, and the haunting tone of it really draws you in.

5. "Invisible String"

Best Lyric: "Cold was the steel of my axe to grind

For the boys who broke my heart...

...Gold was the color of the leaves

When I showed you around Centennial Park"

I sort of want to see a rom-com based off this song now.

6. "Cardigan"

Best Lyric: "And when I felt like I was an old cardigan

Under someone's bed

You put me on and said I was your favorite"

Taylor is back at it again with A+ analogies.

7. "This Is Me Trying"

Best Lyric: "They told me all my cages were mental

So I got wasted like all my potential"

Some of the lines in this song were so well-crafted, I was completely caught off guard.

8. "My Tears Ricochet"

Best Lyric: "And if I'm dead to you, why are you at the wake?"

All the funeral imagery tied together created a great song.

9. "Exile"

Best Lyric: "I can see you starin', honey

Like he's just your understudy

Like you'd get your knuckles bloody for me"

The fact that Miss Swift's word choice is always on point is such an impressive feat.

10. "Betty"

Best Lyric: "Betty, one time I was riding on my skateboard

When I passed by your house

It's like I couldn't breathe"

This song would be much higher if it wasn't based off the lyrics, because this might be the catchiest one on the album; It's just lacking the detailed analogies that some of the other songs have.

11. "August"

Best Lyric: "August slipped away into a moment in time...

...August sipped away like a bottle of wine"

The parallels between these two lines are *chef's kiss*; I just wish there was more to this song. It does add to the ranking that this song is a part of the 3 songs written from different perspectives of a love triangle along with Cardigan & Betty.

12. "Mad Woman"

Best Lyric: "And you'll poke that bear 'til her claws come out

And you find something to wrap your noose around"

This one reminds me a lot of The Scarlet Letter.

13. "Illicit Affairs"

Best Lyric: "It's born from just one single glance

But it dies and it dies and it dies

A million little times"

It's still a super pretty song, just not a lot of lyrics that stand out to me.

14. "Seven"

Best Lyric: "Please picture me in the weeds

Before I learned civility

I used to scream ferociously"

Taylor having a song named after my lucky number got me excited, but this wasn't quite what I expected. The image of youth is still strong and prospering though when listening.

15. "The 1"

Best Lyric: "We never painted by the numbers, baby

But we were making it count

You know the greatest loves of all time are over now"

Another one that is really enjoyable but is missing the fancy words and comparisons of some of the others I ranked higher.

16. "Epiphany"

Best Lyric: "Crawling up the beaches now

'Sir, I think he's bleeding out'"

I liked the comparison between a soldier fighting and people fighting the Coronavirus now, but the rest of the song didn't have a lot to it.