The Ultimate, Honest Ranking Of Every Dorm On Boston University's Campus

The Ultimate, Honest Ranking of Every Dorm On Boston University's Campus

Including the Fenway Campus, too!

18430
bu housing

Nothing is scarier for an incoming freshman than move-in day. Is the roommate you picked actually going to work out? Is that random roommate going to stay up until 3 am with the lights on? Is there even such a thing as "freshman housing" anymore with so many sophomores in Warren and West? And for upperclassman, was moving to the Fenway Campus the move? Is Stuvi worth the price tag? Boston University on campus housing is abundant and guaranteed, which is a huge plus in the city. But, there can only be one winner.

1. Warren Towers

upload.wikimedia.org

C'mon, you knew this one. Often joked about as being like prison (probably because it was designed by a guy who actually made prisons) and a Boston University freshman dorm, Warren Towers is easily the grossest dorm on campus. Swiping in is as difficult as crossing national borders, RAs are perky and in your face, and the built-ins in the rooms are falling apart. Warren's also close to class, and has a dining hall inside, so if you can suck up sharing your shower with 40 other humans, you might be okay.

2. West Campus

upload.wikimedia.org

Sure, having a dining hall inside your dorm (if you live in Sleeper or Claflin) sounds really appealing, until you find out that all the food is really bland and probably smothered in oil. West is a 15-minute walk to most classes, and unless you already run some kind of fitness Instagram account, you probably aren't going to FitRec as much as you think you are going to. Distrustful security guards (and a few chatty ones), prevalent frat culture, RAs that can be invasive, and a large community bathroom are all cons of BU's triplet dorms.

3. The Towers

Sarcastically called, "The Stuvi of East Campus," The Towers isn't exactly living in luxury. Tour guides have done a pretty good job at turning this into Boston University freshman housing. It has a few pros, like only being a couple minutes from each of the best dining halls on campus (Marciano Commons and the terribly underrated Granby Commons), having a common area far from the RA room, being quieter overall than other dorms, and being close to all schools except the College of General Studies. But, Towers also has a mixed bag of people living there (freshman, sophomores, some juniors), RAs on every floor, community bathrooms, and common room couches that fall apart.

4. Fenway Campus

Okay, so everyone on campus is a little confused about what the Wheelock Merger actually means. But, in terms of living, current BU students have no idea where the Fenway Campus is or what the dorms look like. It does mean, you're a bit far from class, but you're actually about as far as Danielson. You are equally far from dining halls. But, looking at BU's pixelated floor plan, some of the rooms seem more spacious than the classic BU dorms. Bathroom situations seem more private, there's laundry in every building, and there are suites and dorms. It's seemingly the perfect place for sophomores who don't get the housing they originally wanted.

5. Danielson Hall

Ah yes, Danielson. The way to make your year the year of the BU shuttle. It is so far from class, a dining hall, FitRec, and anything you might actually want to be near. The inside can be fine, if you end up in an apartment, but it is also notorious for having all kinds of wonky semi-suites and dorms. Danielson is a mystery on BU's campus, if you can really call it on-campus housing.

6. 1019 Commonwealth Ave

1019 is often considered a sophomore rite of passage. It's technically a large dorm, but the suite-style living is ideal for larger friend groups and subsets of sororities, fraternities, and sports teams alike. The security is decently chill, the RAs don't really bother you unless you're being ridiculous. The major downside is the building is old, and smells kind of weird. It's also a good 15+ minute trek to class, but FitRec is only 5 minutes away, and T. Anthony's is only 1 minute away, which honestly, is a major perk.

7. South Campus

Whoever called Allston "Rat City" has never been to South Campus. Ideal for upperclassman, South is a good way to feel like you're living off campus without actually being off campus. The apartments aren't THAT bad, and if you can end up in one of the renovated ones with new appliances and the ability to have air conditioning, you've actually kind of hit the jackpot. The downside to South is definitely all the critters. Store your food high and keep your floors crumb-free, and you might actually go the whole year without a rat or a cockroach in sight.

8. Bay State

Lovingly known as Bae State to many, this lovely brownstone filled road is definitely one of the most aesthetically pleasing spots on campus. It's close to the two best dining halls and only about 5 minutes from most classes. The downside? You never really know what you're walking into. Sometimes the apartments have one more person than the space feels like it should. Sometimes, you can have a really spacious dorm with beautiful windows. The contrast is a really small dorm.

9. 575 Commonwealth Ave (HoJo)

Although it's brutal looking on the outside, HoJo really is the hidden gem of Boston University on campus housing. Admittedly, living in a triple room can be less than ideal. But for a private bathroom, a beautiful study space, proximity to class and food, and air conditioning is it really all that bad?

10. Myles Standish Hall

The Annex is newly renovated, and what more could you ask for? The suites are decently spacious, the walk to class isn't terrible, you're in the heart of Kenmore Square, and the kitchen is BEAUTIFUL. You can make of Myles whatever you want, but plenty of people go into it as sophomores and will end up staying through their senior year.

11. Kilachand Hall

This is the way to live on Bay State without actually living in a brownstone. The lobby level is new and clean and has a kitchen for you to try out any of your lovely chef skills. It's a minute away from Marciano Commons and only a couple minutes from class. The 9th floor is, by far, the best view of the Charles River and it. has. air. conditioning. As long as you don't live in the haunted suite, 401, you'll genuinely enjoy this accommodation.

12. Student Village 2 (StuVi2)

StuVi 2 is notorious for it's beautiful views of the city of Boston. The lobby, the apartments, the suites, the proximity to a shuttle stop, and the study spaces can definitely make you feel like you're living in a hotel. People are often questioning the price tag, but when again in your life are you going to be able to live in a beautiful high rise for that price? It's truly a gem of Boston University on campus housing.

13. Student Village 1 (StuVi1)

How can you beat this setup? Apartment style, plenty of study space, quiet, non-invasive RAs, Buick St Market at your disposal, close to FitRec, and no underclassman. Living in a setup as wonderful StuVi 1 makes a 10+ minute walk to campus so incredibly bearable.