Randy Pausch: An Everyday Hero

Randy Pausch: An Everyday Hero

How one man can change the world

77
Randy Pausch: An Everyday Hero
flikr

The past few weeks I have been so consumed by twitter fights in between celebrities. Phone in hand I am constantly checking Kanye, Kim, Taylor Swift, or Chad from the Bachelors feed just to see if there are any new developments or controversial conversations being started. After realizing how pathetic this was I realized how often media figures are coveted. Too often do we put celebrities or public figures on a pedestal, that we forget who the real hero's in society are. The real heroes are policemen, dedicated teachers, humanitarians and generous individuals who are taking time out of their days to better society or make a difference.

Have you ever read a book that you instantly changed your view or opened your eyes? That one book that you always pull quotes from or think about.

This book for me was, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University who made a lecture that was life changing for everyone that has seen it.

Randy was an everyday hero, an amazing dad, husband, and exceptional professor. He was diagnosed with cancer and had a total of 10 tumors in his liver. He was given 3 months to live. He refused to let this define him, he did not feel bad for himself and would not let anyone pity him.

Instead, he decided to perform in his last lecture and explain his ideas on childhood dreams and how to help enable the dreams of others. He put in perspective how insignificant material items can be and how important building relationships are.

One way he proved his point was when his niece ad nephew where in his brand new Volkswagen Cabrio convertible. Their mother told them to be extremely careful in his new car and to not get it dirty. While their mother lectured the two young kids Randy deliberately poured a whole can of soda on his brand new back seat of his car to prove to them that people are more important to things. He could care less about his brand new car, he was more invested in his relationships with others.

Randy was a real hero. His book and lecture continue to inspire people and rethink society and how important childhood, dreams, and relationships are. His last lecture is truly unique and proves how one man who is diagnosed with terminal cancer can put his struggles behind him and selflessly dedicate his time and effort to inspiring others.