I Know Spanish and So Will I

I Was Raised To Be A Proud Hispanic And So Will My Future Kids

To me it's important to pass on my culture and make sure my future generations know their background.

245
Priscilla Febus

I grew up appreciative of my roots and background, my parents always made sure to implement their culture in raising my sister and I and they still do. I started learning Spanish before English and I speak it daily with my mom, and I am proud to speak it. I am proud of my Hispanic roots and always tell people they define who I am. However, since I am born and raised in America I have always been hit with the same three questions concerning my future. I don't mean education or career-wise, but family wise. As in, will I raise my children the same way my parents raised me?

Why do you want to teach them Spanish?

Why wouldn't I? It's an advantage to them to be bilingual since a young age, it can help make it easier for them to learn another Latin language (such as French or Italian), can help with finding employment, help those who need a translation, and it is something that is a part of their background and should be essential for them to know.

What if your husband doesn't speak Spanish?

I don't know who I'm going to marry therefore I don't know if he'll be Hispanic like me, because he could be someone of another nationality. However, I have met many couples where they both spoke English and another different language, but they taught their child all three languages fluently. Therefore, if others can do it why can't my future spouse and I can't? And to those asking what if he doesn't want me to teach our child Spanish well that won't be a problem because I'm going to marry someone who wants their child to know Spanish.

Won't they have trouble learning English if you teach them Spanish first?

I hate this question because when my mom had my sister everyone asked if she was going to teach my sister Spanish, and my parents said they were going to make sure she learns it first. She received backlash from many people saying my sister would grow up to speak improper English and would have a difficulty learning English. It was amusing how they would say this when I was standing there, bilingual and speaking proper English. Children are like sponges when it comes to learning, they will pick up everything, therefore, the earlier they learn a language the better. They won't have any difficulty, therefore, I am not worried.