We Need To Bring More Awareness To Mesothelioma

Get ready for Mesothelioma day.

135
pixabay

Mesothelioma Awareness Day (MAD) is September 26th. Do you know what Mesothelioma is? How is it caused? I'm here to tell you all about this rare form of lung cancer, since not that many people are aware of how aggressive and deadly it is. Raising awareness is important to me because I have had a loved one pass away from mesothelioma.

According to the Mesothelioma and Asbestos Awareness Center, "Mesothelioma is a form of aggressive cancer that affects the lining of the lungs, heart, or abdomen ." The only known cause of mesothelioma is the inhalation of asbestos. Asbestos is minerals that are made up of fine, durable fibers and are resistant to heat, fire and many chemicals. After being exposed to asbestos, symptoms of mesothelioma appear 10 to 50 years after the first exposure. Most people that have been diagnosed with mesothelioma are between the ages of 50 to 70 and have worked in industrial jobs like plumbing, pipefitting, and construction.

The most common type of mesothelioma is in the lungs, called pleural mesothelioma, which 80 percent of patients have. The other two are called peritoneal and pericardial mesothelioma, which affects the lining of the abdomen and the heart. The average life expectancy is from 6 months through 2 years after diagnosis. There is no cure for mesothelioma, but treatment is available. Patients go through surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Additionally, many mesothelioma patients who are veterans or have worked around asbestos in the last 50 years are entitled to financial compensation and are able to file mesothelioma lawsuits.

Although mesothelioma is rare cancer that many people are unaware exists, it hits hard and is as aggressive as any other cancer. It is important to raise awareness because so many patients are suffering and need a cure to end this deadly disease. Mesothelioma awareness is personally important to my family and me because my grandfather lost his battle with mesothelioma almost five years ago. Watching him battle aggressively toward the end was hard for us, but he lived an amazing life and worked hard for our family. I wish I could thank him a million times more and tell him how grateful I am for him.

The Asbestos Disease Awareness Association is hosting a tweetchat on the 26th to answer any questions you may have about mesothelioma. The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation is also taking a trip to the Today Show on the 26th to raise awareness nationally. I hope my article has taught you something about mesothelioma. Let's all raise awareness together!