The "Zeal" Of Being Anti-Rape

The "Zeal" Of Being Anti-Rape

Why do I even have to write this?

11
The "Zeal" Of Being Anti-Rape
Prassoon

I have this "radical" notion. I understand that no one will accept this "radical" idea because it is just so crazy, so I'll just come out and say it.

I think that women should be able to live without fearing for their life on a daily basis.

I know, that's crazy, right? I think that women should be able to live their lives without revolving them around the constant fear of attack or sexual violence. I think that women should be able to dress in the way that they want without the fear that they will be sexually assaulted or raped. I think that women should be able to have control over their body. If someone wants to sleep with several men, it does not mean that she "had it coming" when someone else "has sex" with her.

There are days when I think that I don't need to say this. It feels so obvious. Did she consent? If yes, go for it. If no, go away. Leave her alone. Stop following her. Her dressing in a short skirt and tank-top does not give you the right to touch her. Why is this a radical notion? Why is bodily autonomy, literally a founding principle of this country, and our right to "deny service," in a sense, such a problem for so many Americans. Why is the rape victim to blame?

While this quote may be "radical," it feels very correct. It's the same logic, after all. If I put my money in my pocket and have it just hanging out where everyone can see it, is the theft of that money my fault? No, it's the fault of the person who stole the money. Similarly, if I show off my body, it is not my fault for being attacked, held down, and raped.

If you think that rape victims "have it coming," then you're wrong.