The Racism Jumped Out On 'Big Brother'

The Racism Jumped Out On 'Big Brother'

But, this is nothing new, it's a pattern.

28
The Racism Jumped Out On 'Big Brother'

"Big Brother" makes it hard to be an African-American super fan. The show rarely crowns black competitors on the United States show and the lack of black representation, which I've mentioned in a previous article a year ago, still prevails. Here we go again.

On June 25, "Big Brother" made its return to cable for its twenty-first season in the US, introducing sixteen new houseguests from across the country, competing in a summer camp-themed abode. In the two-night premiere event, the houseguests had to create first impressions with each other, only to be taken aback by a 'twist' in the game.

In the game, the houseguests had to vote for a 'camp counselor' who would be given a particular power that would make or break someone else's game. Four people out of the group campaigned, including a Puerto Rican plus-size model and a black photographer, David Alexander.

However, votes went in a server's favor. Jackson Michie, a white houseguest, was chosen to be the camp counselor after persuading houseguests who initially wouldn't vote for him to give him safety for the week. How nice. However, he had to choose four houseguests to 'banish' and only three people would be able to return to the game.

During decisions, he approached David Alexander about putting him up as a pawn. Alexander denied, knowing that pawns never make it far. Instead of sympathizing, Jackson Michie banished him anyway. He also banished a black female houseguest, a Hispanic houseguest, and an older houseguest.

Basically, he picks the minorities.

As a result, David Alexander did not make it back into the competition after the other three fought back into the house. As a result, he was eliminated.

On June 26, the live feeds, which are a crucial part to the "Big Brother" franchise, hints that the black female houseguest, Kemi Faknule, a digital marketing strategist, will likely be the next person evicted. Fans of the show, particularly on Twitter, Tumblr, and other social media platforms, have already noticed the discrimination in this season, and it just started.

However, this isn't the only account of racism and racial bias on the show. Multiple seasons, from season 15, season 19 and season 20 have been heavily criticized for its derogatory actions and responses towards black houseguests.

"Big Brother" is toxic. I think that the show intentionally casts less than 2 black people per season and casts a majority of white people intentionally to humiliate the minority. We haven't seen a black person conquer until singer Tamar Braxton won "Celebrity Big Brother" unanimously this year.

Not only she was the first black woman to win in Big Brother history, but this season marked the first two black houseguests, including former football player Ricky Williams, to make it to the final two. This was really big for the show and it really gave many fans hope for more inclusivity on the show.

'Celebrity Big Brother' Season 2 Finale

However, even Tamar Braxton had to endure microaggressions on the show, receiving comments that she needs to "clean the house" and she should be evicted to take care of her son. Ironically, Tamar, despite her outgoing personality, really knew how to play the game and even she's a superfan!

Based on a lot of the houseguests we have on the show this season, there's a lack of diversity and typically the black houseguests are removed earlier in the show.

This also adds up to the horrible stereotypes that black houseguests have faced while in the game. Most black houseguests were evicted out of fear of the "angry black man" or "angry black woman" stereotype that television typically portrays. It's ridiculous that these stereotypes hinder any person of color's chances of winning the game or making it far.

As a person who wants to be on the show, now that I'm 21 years old, I don't think I could tolerate discrimination and racism lightly.

I'm tired of telling "Big Brother" to do better.

I'm just ready to give up.

What are your thoughts on black representation on "Big Brother?"