Is "Big Brother" Racist?

CBS, Please Stop The Racism and Lack of Black Representation On 'Big Brother'

Black houseguests need love too.

188
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlOQCybh5FT/?hl=en&taken-by=swaggyctv
Instagram / @swaggyctv

CBS,

It's been nearly four weeks since CBS's summer-long game series "Big Brother" aired. On the 20th season, two people have already been evicted, one of whom is black. From what I've witnessed on the live feeds, there's racial slurs and ignorance galore.

I think that your network is known for casting less than two black people on every season of "Big Brother." If that's your way of creating diversity, then your network has some work to do. Every season is predictable.

If you think about it, most of the black houseguests don't make it far in the game, and it's been obvious. I've never seen a black winner of "Big Brother US," ever, and I'm honestly disappointed in the lack of black representation on the show. I'm also very livid with the evident racism along with it.

I've been a faithful superfan. But, as a black viewer, I find it hard to finish a season knowing there's a predictable chance that a certain houseguest is robbed based on race.

On the 15th season of "Big Brother," for instance, two houseguests were in the center of extreme controversy for making very blunt, racist remarks towards the women of color on the show.

In future seasons, Paul Abrahamian, a competitor for season 18 and 19, wore a black facial mask to resemble the "blackface," a way to mock a black houseguest. While TMZ and other gossip websites covered it, he was never reprimanded for what was considered ignorant, prejudiced behavior.

I'm not saying that "Big Brother" should keep houseguests from expressing their views. That's the purpose of the show. However, there's a difference between expressing your views and using your views to belittle the minority. There's nothing wrong with promoting civil conversations and debates.

I'm saying this because an incident occurred between two houseguests after one said the "N" word loud and clear towards a black houseguest.

JC Mounduix, who was previously accused of sexually harassing girls in the "Big Brother" house, forwardly said the "N" word towards Bayleigh Dayton. This incident started after Dayton questioned if he was a midget or a dwarf based on his very short height.

Mounduix did not apologize for saying the word after Dayton told him not to say it. Instead, he argued with her and believed he had a right to say it. A lot of superfans are angered by this, especially considering Mounduix's history. For one, although he is part of the LGBT community, people have disapproved of his support for President Donald Trump.

Now, I wouldn't isolate anyone based on their views, but there are literally some things you shouldn't say, and the "N" word is one of them.

CBS, I know before a live feed, you have a disclaimer. Your network says that the producers and the network do not agree with the views of the houseguests, but when people say things like the "N" word, you don't do anything about it.

Don't cover this up.

It's clear that we need more black representation on this show. We need the racism to stop. We need the clear ignorance to stop. Something has to be done.