Quotes From "To Kill A Mockingbird" We Could All Learn From

A piece of iconic American literature, to ponder and learn from.

612
fineartamerica.com

We all could learn a lot from "To Kill A Mockingbird." To start, it broke the barriers of a racist society by showing people it's just normal humanity to accept people based on their skin color and their physical limitations. It also went to show the morals and values we should be instilling in the children of today- accept everybody but also stand up for yourself and be mindful of those around us. To show how much, and what we could learn from this book, here are ten quotes from "To Kill A Mockingbird."

1. "Are you proud of yourself tonight, that you have insulted a total stranger whose circumstances you know nothing about?"

From this excerpt, we can learn that with words come pain and humility. Be mindful of what you say to others, because words do hurt and you don't always know what that particular person is going through.

2. "They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect of their opinions...

...But before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The only thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a persons conscience."

We are all humans, imperfect by default. The only thing we could ever do to change that is to strive to be the best person you could ever be, and stand your ground. You are the one to ultimately answer to your actions.

3. "You rarely win, but sometimes you do."

Life is tough. In these moments that you've "won," embrace the moment. They don't come very often, so enjoy the feeling and take in your surroundings.

4. "Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy.

They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

What we could all learn from this quote is to never bully anyone. If someone isn't bothering you, don't bother them. Simple.

5. "You just hold your head high and keep those fists down.

No matter what anybody says to you, don't let 'em get your goat. Try fightin' with your head for a change."

Violence is never the answer, overcome adversity with wit and skill. Everyone is capable of being an intelligent and tactful human being if given the opportunity.

6. "You can choose your friends but you sho' can't choose your family, and they're still kin to you no matter whether you acknowledge them or not, and it makes you look right silly when you don't."

Anybody you will ever meet has went through some type of family issue, but at the end of the day your family is still your family. They've seen you through some of the best and worst times in your life, the least you could ever do is acknowledge them.

7. "Things are always better in the morning."

Things get better with time. What you may see now as the end of the world, may be something a lot less traumatic with a little bit of time and a new perspective.

8. "There's a lot of ugly things in this world son, I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible."

The world is filled with evil and sadness. We can't shy away from it even though we sometimes want to. We have to be the brave and courageous individuals who go into the world to make it better, and not be shielded from the ugly.

9. "Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time when they learn they're not attracting attention with it."

Your language says a lot about you, whether you're educated, charming, witty. It defines you as a person, so whatever language you choose for yourself make sure its the version of yourself you want to show the world.

10. "Atticus had said it was the polite thing to talk to people about what they were interested in, not about what you were interested in."

You're going to need people in this life, and to get people to be interested in you, you have to be genuinely interested in them. You cannot go through life expecting people to bow at your feet and expect them to stick around, it doesn't work like that.