Guinea Pigs Make The Best Pets

Guinea Pigs Make The Best Pets

Six reasons why these furballs are the perfect addition to any home.

18
Guinea Pigs Make The Best Pets
Unsplash

Guinea pigs won't go on runs with you or swim at the beach. They won't play fetch or tug-of-war. But these low-maintenance balls of love will be the best pet you ever bring into your home!

1. Great for Smaller Spaces.

Although guinea pigs require 7.5 square feet of space to run around in, this is a substantially smaller area than what is needed for a dog.

2. Easy to Clean.

All of the mess is contained within the piggies' cage and the bedding can quickly be emptied or spot-cleaned whenever needed.

3. Inexpensive.

Aside from the initial cost of a cage, guinea pigs are cheap to feed and take care of. Bedding, toys, food, and hay all cost less than $15 each from Walmart. A big bag of food and hay can last up to a month depending on how many piggies you have.

4. Very Social.

Guinea pigs are very social and most love affection from their owners. They squeak when they hear a familiar voice, run to the side of the cage as you pass, and they love to be snuggled and scratched under their chins.

5. Easy to Feed.

Each piggy gets 1/8 a cup of pellets every day plus an endless supply of timothy hay. They should also be given various vegetables daily as well. It is easy to find leafy creams and other produce on sale and you can also give them your scraps!

6. Piggies are Quiet.

With the exception of the occasional 'hello' or 'I'm hungry' squeal, guinea pigs make very little noise. They will not bother you during the day or keep you up at night.

Don't forget to adopt, not shop. There are always piggies looking for new homes and they can be found at shelters or online.