9 Tips Before You Go On Your Next Hike

9 Quick Tips For The Hiking Enthusiast, Before You Head To Your Next Adventure

We still have to watch our steps as we rush out the door after quarantine. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for what lies ahead.

146

Now that quarantine is practically over, it's time for sun and hiking boots! Everyone has their own method to prepare for a hike. In the summer, it can be especially challenging since the heat can take a toll on how far you want to go before turning back.

Here are some quick tips to help you prepare, endure, and have fun while you're out there in the wilderness.

1. Hydrate the day before

Yeah, I know, you'll be going to the bathroom more, but it's worth the multiple trips if you want to make sure you are not dying while hiking.

2. Pack a lunch the day before

Trust me, this will save your butt. I like making chicken or bacon sandwiches with salt and pepper, lettuce, avocados and tomatoes. Feel free to add pickles on the side and make Nutella sandwiches too. Trail mix is always a great classic, the nuts and berries are full of protein that will fuel you throughout the day.

3. Sunscreen and chapstick are your best friends

It's a rookie mistake to not bring these items on your hike. You think you only need to apply them once before you start your hike, but I will guarantee that it will feel like your Frodo Baggins walking through Mordor when you are marching under the sun for two hours.

4. Electrolytes and Advil or Aspirin can help you when you're in a pinch

When you are going up in higher elevation, these three items can help you out. Drink the electrolytes before you get up in higher elevation and only take the Advil or Aspirin when you really need to. If you aren't prepared and you're feeling horrible, go back down the mountain. It's not worth the journey if you feel like your head is about to be split in two.

5. Bring an adapterĀ 

If you are going on a long hike, bring the extra battery. You will want to take pictures, have your GPS signal on and have your map ready.

6. Bring a first-aid kit

Obviously, you can't bring a whole medical bag up the mountain with you, but you can bring some bandages, Band-Aids and Neosporin when you go. Leave the first aid kit in your car. I like to organize a plastic box with other essential medical supplies. You never know when you may need it.

7. Lay out the things you need the day before your hike on your table, bed or rug

I like to gather all the things I need to put in my backpack to see what I will need and won't. It's crazy how many things I bring that aren't essential or are just an extra.

8. Test the weight of your backpack

Trying on your backpack to test the weight is pretty essential. A lot of people don't check and suffer on the hike as they endure their heavy burden.

9. Know your route

It can be pretty easy to get lost, it's a skill I have come to acquire. Knowing the lay of the land is super helpful and can save you from panic and stress. I recommend the AllTrails app. It can get your GPS signal and show you how long hikes are and where to go.