Questions To Ask Yourself Before Getting Your First Tattoo

This is not the time for impulse decisions

52
clipartkid.com/

It seems like everyone now a' days are getting tattoos, especially when looking at the younger generation. I'll admit I am guilty of it too they are just so addicting! Although tattoos can be an art form, hobby, or way of personal expression, it is important to remember that they are permanent. Here are four simple questions that you should always ask yourself before getting your first tattoo, you can thank me later.

1. Is this something that I will still want on my body 10 years from now?

Although we have heard it a million times it really is important to think about if this particular tattoo is something that you won't mind being on your body as you get older. Yes, you can always get it removed or covered but why make that more difficult for yourself in the long run when you can consider it now? As you get older you go through different phases, best to not get a tattoo based off of a phase. Better to have it be something that you'll always like just like it will always be on your skin. Also be mindful of the placement, if you get tattoos that are noticeable will it interfere with your future career?

2. Am I getting this because it looks cool or does it hold meaning to me?

Sometimes we see tattoos on other people and we think wow that looks awesome I should get that too, wrong. Don't get something that is permanent just because someone else has it. When going to get a tattoo get something that is meaningful to you or something that you really like. Not every tattoo needs to have a long story behind it but make sure it has some value to you. What looks cool to you now won't always be cool to you later but if it holds value that won't ever change.

3. How much will this cost?

This is very important when considering a tattoo. Tattoos are a huge investment and can get pretty expensive depending on what you want, the detail of the work, the size, the amount of time it will take to get it done etc.. All of these things should be considered before going into a shop because all of these variables contribute to the cost of your tattoo. Sometimes I have wanted to get a tattoo but waited to get it because at the time I couldn't afford it. This is going to be on your body forever so really invest in yourself and make sure you go to a shop and artist that will do the best work possible. The key to the cost of a tattoo is to acknowledge that most times you will get what you pay for.

4. Where should I go to get my tattoo done?

This is also a very important question to ask yourself. Do not I repeat do not go just anywhere or to anyone to get a tattoo. Don't get it done from a random friends brother that can hook you up in his basement, and don't go to the nearest shop down the street without doing your research first. Look online for different shops and when you choose a shop, and be sure to do research on the artists. They will almost always have a Facebook page or Instagram account where they post pictures of their work. Although artists have their portfolios sometimes those can be outdated so checking out their social media allows you to see their current work and determine if you like their style.