Questions And Misconceptions: The World Race

So you graduated college, and you are not going to use your degree?

126

Question: What is the World Race….what are you doing?

Answer: The World Race is a journey to 11 countries in 11 months to serve the least of these among real and raw communities. It is an interdenominational Christian mission trip. It's a year of Matthew 10 in action: "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give."

Everyone's route is different, but I will be going to the following 11 countries: Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Montenegro, Romania, Cambodia, Thailand, and Malaysia

Misconception: So you graduated college, and you are not going to use your degree?

Clarification: I actually have a very unique opportunity to use my college degree in field, and gain more skill sets as I go. We are assigned jobs in the World Race (although they are not paid) and let us not forget how much I will grow as a person. (: This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Question: So what do you ACTUALLY do on the race?

Answer: Every day on the World Race looks a little different. Some days will be packed full with construction, VBS, building relationships with orphans, or praying for the sick at a hospital. Other days we could be teaching computer skills, English, soccer and dance to local kids. Sometimes it is slower - shopping for groceries at the market, cooking for your team and spending time praying for the community you walk through. So what we are ACTUALLY doing, regardless of the pace or the activity, is being focused every day on being a part of God's kingdom work.

Misconception: Wow that is awesome, I wish I could do something like that. It looks like one big great adventure!

Clarification: You can do something like this….and it is awesome, it’s a once in a life time experience for sure. But it is much more than an adventure. Read what a past racer wrote about the race here. If you think you cannot do the race because of the money I encourage you to read this. YOU CAN GO (just like me!), if you are willing to…

Question: What made you decide you wanted to do The World Race?

Answer: Ever since I was little I have felt a calling on my heart to serve people internationally. Although I never knew where, or for how long, I just knew that it was something I was meant to do with my life. When I lived in the Dominican Republic last summer my heart was changed and it solidified the urgency for me to go. Hindsight is 20/20 and I can see that the Lord has been preparing me for this journey for many years. I have never been more excited or felt so at peace with a decision before in my entire life.

Misconception: You’re going on the Amazing Race, like the one on TV.

Clarification: I may not be on a TV show but you can follow my race as I share the journey with you via video.... I will be posting them at kelsaysingleton.theworldrace.org!

FYI...The Amazing Race would probably be a walk in the park after completing the World Race (;

Question: Where will you be staying during your time on The World Race? Host homes?

Answer: We do have contacts in each country that are hosting us, but “home” is a term to be taken loosely. “Home” for the eleven months will vary greatly. It may look like a tent, church floor, concrete room, and when we are really lucky…. a bed.

Misconception: You must be such a mature Christian to go minister to people for a year!

Clarification: I am just an ordinary person, and I actually do not have that many bible verses memorized. I am no expert, and there is no "level" of Christianity you have to reach to go on the World Race. I just love the Lord ALOT, and want to be intentional about serving Him with my life. You can read why I want to serve him here.

Question: So what does your fundraising cover?

Answer: It does cover a lot of expenses once the trip begins including food, lodging, air, land, and sea travel. Here is a breakdown of what the $16,617 covers.

what it DOES NOT cover is: required gear (like the backpack, tent, etc. I will live out of for 11 months), travel to training camp and the start point, return travel home from the Race, malaria pills, vaccinations, and personal spending money. I say this not to downplay the support of my donors, but to share with everyone how financially committed I am to this journey as well.

To learn more about how you can support me please click here.

As always...

Xxx

Thanks, and God Bless!