And Welcome...To Operation Mindcrime!

And Welcome...To Operation Mindcrime!

How Queensrÿche became my favorite band and subsequently changed my life.

132
And Welcome...To Operation Mindcrime!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAI2QOBMlTA

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrimewww.youtube.com

Above is the music video for the title track of the 1988 studio album by "Queensrÿche." And with it, thus I became a Rycher. My musical taste and interests, and my drumming style, techniques, and ability transformed based on the style of Progressive Metal these five guys out of Seattle, Washington helped pioneer.

Yes, you can listen and hear clear elements that ooze 80's hair metal. But the real difference that set "Queensrÿche" apart from the rest was the operatic vocals of Geoff Tate, and dual lead guitar from Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton, the pounding bass of Eddie Jackson and the complex and intricate drumming of Scott Rockenfield.

Iron Maiden's Mascot Eddiec1.staticflickr.com

They also had a unique message. "Iron Maiden" is another huge act from the Progressive Metal movement, and have undoubtedly surpassed "Queensrÿche" in popularity. But their songs have a fantastical element to them, much like other groups of a Progressive movement. Groups who reign in the hair or glam world of metal, like "White Snake," "Ratt" or "Motley Crue" mostly sang about sex.

Queensryche - Empirewww.youtube.com

But "Queensrÿche" sang about political unrest, religious dispute, looming chaos, and at times, hope. Their album, "Operation: Mindcrime" which brought the most commercial success their way before their follow-up "Empire" tells the story of a corrupt politician (Dr. X) using a junkie (Nikki) to kill off his competition. Another pawn in Dr. X's game is Mary, an ex-hooker turned Nun whom Nikki falls in love with. With her, the story shows a priest who uses her for sexually gain, never offering salvation but rather keeping her at a prostitute status.

Queensryche - Revolution Callingwww.youtube.com

Other songs on the album, like "Revolution Calling," and "Speak," all call for rebellion against the corrupt political leaders. As mentioned, there are a few cheesy '80s sprinkled throughout the songs. While the premise stands out from other bands of the era, it's still a product of its time. But I think "Queensrÿche" is able to shine past their 1980's crutch.

Queensryche - Speakwww.youtube.com

This album is what made me obsessed. I have the special edition CD, the concert from 1988 on DVD, and the newer double show where they played both the original "Operation: Mindcrime," and it's 2006 sequel album "Operation: Mindcrime II" in their entirety. I have all of their albums on CD, and I'm slowly building their catalog on Vinyl (in fact, my girlfriend bought me "Operation: Mindcrime" on Vinyl for my birthday last year).

I have a comic book about their origin, all of the lead singer Geoff Tate's solo work (and his new band's music). I have two posters signed by the group, one including new singer Todd La Torre's signature. I have a drum book and drumsticks signed by Scott Rockenfield, a denim jacket where I painted the OM logo, a necklace of the triryche symbol, and soon enough, I'll have a "Queensrÿche" tattoo.

Clearly, I have an obsession. It all started in 2007 with the first song of their's I heard, when I was 11, right when I first started playing the drums:

Walk In The Shadowswww.youtube.com

At the time, my dad only had OM and their debut album "The Warning," but I listened to these CD's over and over. I would get my friends into them and burnt CD's for all the other Catholic school kids (which was funny, seeing an 11-year-old me in a blazer, passing the burnt CD's around like they were narcotics to the other Catholics school goers who's main tune was "Go Tell It On The Mountian").

Take Hold Of The Flame (Remastered)www.youtube.com

I'm surprised it took me this long to write this article. Every few months, I go back and relisten to all of their music, from their first album to their most recent (which by the way, they have a new album coming out this year!). I'm currently in one of those cycles now actually. Every time Irun through the catalog, I re-learn why this band is so special to me. Listening to "Queensrÿche" taught me that Metal doesn't have to be what is expected, that I can blend other styles with it; I don't have to follow the status quo and I can try to reinvent the music as I see fit. There's a whole new world of freedom when it's approached that way.

Chasing Blue Sky (Remastered)www.youtube.com

It sound's silly but "Queensrÿche" really changed my life. Aside from their call to arms music, they have songs like "Silent Lucidity," and "Chasing Blue Sky" which are both beautiful in my opinion. But "Silent Lucidity" will always hold a special place in my heart. I had a lot of anxiety growing up and during middle/high school. This song brought a calmness to me. Even to this day, whenever I listen to it I still get chills.

If you aren't familiar with the group, I encourage you to listen. They have a huge catalog to sort through, and they might even just change your life too... or at the least, your expectations of what music is and can be.

Queensryche - Silent Luciditywww.youtube.com